• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Throttle Down Kustom Frame, issues

flexmerc

Contributor
All,
I was going to wait till i finished the whole operation before posting infomation on the Throttle Down Kustom Frame, but that being said i ran into some crossroads, and I am looking for a way forward.

I purchased a Throttle Down Kustom Frame around August 2019, this year i have had alot of time at the house (global pandemic), so i decide to conduct the frame swap in my two car garage. (I will never do that again, ahah)...more on that later.

Problem at hand, is the preset and reinforced frame steering box holes do not line up with my steering box stock or aftermarket one purchased from WildHorses. The wildhorses steering box fit and worked flawlessly in my original frame.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...ring_System_Deluxe/bronco_Power_Steering_Kits

What is the best way to drill new holes in the steering box to have them line up with my Frame holes?

Attachments

• IMG_4109.jpg
    IMG_4109.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4110.jpg
    IMG_4110.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4111.jpg
    IMG_4111.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 121

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a TDK Frame for my 77 Coyote build.

The Factory 77 Box fits perfect with NO issues what so ever. The Borgeson box does not line up exactly, but it will fit with some minor grinding.

OP
OP
flexmerc

flexmerc

Contributor
Have you called them and asked?

If so what did they tell you?

For me I would start by asking the vendor.

I just got off the phone, they suggested I call a parts store and see if the earlier steering box is different from my 74 model.

Kind of shit customer service in my opinion.

Stand by, I will double check my fitment with the stock and wild horses steering boxes, for a sanity check...

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Steering box I see pictured in Post #1 looks like a Borgeson box.

The 76-77 Power Steering Box fits perfect on my TDK Frame and I would assume the 73-75 Power Steering box fits the same.

The Borgeson box I have does not fit out of the box. The top, left mount hole would need to be ground for proper clearance.

OP
OP
flexmerc

flexmerc

Contributor
I checked the stock steering box, it's a closer fit, but the box is bumping up against the engine bay body, preventing the holes from lining up.
Looks like something im going to have to work through, one way or another.

Thanks for assist guys!

Attachments

• 0C056582-C167-40FB-9EE6-C27E7D1EC4C2.jpg
    0C056582-C167-40FB-9EE6-C27E7D1EC4C2.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 13EFDDD9-D9DB-4DD3-AD53-A6DE7F904CFF.jpg
    13EFDDD9-D9DB-4DD3-AD53-A6DE7F904CFF.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
I wonder if the 4x4x2 box adapter plate can be used in reverse to what it was intended for?

OP
OP
flexmerc

flexmerc

Contributor
Nothing about the 4x4x2 box or adapter plate will help with his situation.

Which leads to my first question, what's the best way to drill the borg steering box, A drill press?

Or cutting the rad core support for the original steering box, that sounds sketch.

tinytim02

Contributor
Does your core support have the recessed panel for the power steering box? It doesn't look like it from the picture, but its hard to tell.

I've read that sometimes a PS box will fit, sometimes you need to cut the core support. Cutting the core support may be an option.

Attachments

• Coresupport.jpg
    Coresupport.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 46

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
Nothing about the 4x4x2 box or adapter plate will help with his situation.

Ya, oops, I missed the later posts and was assuming the frame was already a 4x4x2 steering box bolt pattern.

unimogger

Loc.
Philthadelphia
If you were going to modify the steering box, I'd use an end mill and do it with a vertical milling machine. A drill press is the wrong tool for the job. Or maybe a carbide burr in a die grinder; slow but would get the job done.
That said, I'd make the frame fit whatever steering box I intended to use if possible. Especially if I was using a stock bronco steering box, that way swapping to another box is just a matter of bolts and not doing this all over again.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
flexmerc - I'm just curious. Is your TDK frame factory width or 1" wider to each side?

They sell the wider one for the Coyote builds.

OP
OP
flexmerc

flexmerc

Contributor
flexmerc - I'm just curious. Is your TDK frame factory width or 1" wider to each side?

They sell the wider one for the Coyote builds.

My frame is a standard width.

I guess it confuses me as to why the borg box fit my original 74 frame (which has the same holes) but won't fit the TDK frame which is designed for the original steering box.

I think it would be easier to mod the body or borg box vs the frame

Thanks again guys.

Jamie Chriss

I have the same frame, I am running BC F-150 4X4X2 Conversion it fits the bolt pattern.

Jaybr

Contributor
I had the same problem with a new borg box on my stock 74 frame. The sloppy box I pulled off was also a borg box and the holes had been stretched a bit. I ended up using a carbide bit in a die grinder and extending the top right hole of the steering box enough to get them all in. I had a brand new bit and it only took a few minutes of grinding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I have the same frame, I am running BC F-150 4X4X2 Conversion it fits the bolt pattern.

4x4x2 does not fit the bolt pattern for a stock EB frame or stock EB steering box (power or manual). The bolt patterns are completely different and require new holes to be drilled or the WCB adapter plate. Again, the 4x4x2 will not help the OP with his issue.