• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tail gate post patch

joshua

Contributor
Trying to put my bronco back on the road since 2005. All the body seams are pretty done from about the wheel tub back. And the rest are right on the line of usable. Probably needs a whole new body. I bought it when I was young and had no clue it was as bad as it is. Or what to even look for. Had a fresh paint job when I picked it up, hiding how bad it was.

Decided to patch a couple of holes on the seam behind the wheel tub. I cut a small piece out. I’m sure you already know how that went. Uncovering a mess of bondo and brazed in metal. Snow balled very quickly.

So my question, is it only this top part of the tailgate post, I have it highlighted that is actually spot welded to the outer skin? And the lower part of that post just hangs out there not welded to anything serving as just a block for the rear tail light bucket? That’s the way it looks from what I have left. They had just shoved a bunch of glass in there.

But if that’s the case I think I can just cut that rust out and weld a straight piece in there. Then attach that rear inner quarter with a whole new piece of sheet metal. But if that lower part that blocks the bucket needs to be welded to the outer skin I don’t think I can pull it off without just taking the lower quarter off. Hopefully that makes sense.

I know it’s probably not the right thing to do. But I’m just trying to get this thing up and going for awhile.

Attachments

• IMG_4132.jpeg
    IMG_4132.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4129.jpeg
    IMG_4129.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4127.jpeg
    IMG_4127.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4130.jpeg
    IMG_4130.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4110.mov
    19.4 MB
  • IMG_4108.jpeg
    IMG_4108.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4131.jpeg
    IMG_4131.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4134.jpeg
    IMG_4134.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4135.jpeg
    IMG_4135.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4137.jpeg
    IMG_4137.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Well I’m sure I explained it very poorly. I’m sure that’s why I never received an answer. I’m terrible at explaining things.

But anyway this is what a came up with. I welded it on both sides and it isn’t attached to the outside quarter skin. I hope that’s correct. Also this is only my second patch I’ve ever put in. So I’m sure it doesn’t look the best weld wise. But I believe I had good penetration as I could see the weld popping through the other side.

Now I’m going to attempt to fab up the inner bed wall. So if you see anything majorly wrong with this tail gate post patch pls lmk. Be way harder to fix after that.

Attachments

• IMG_4205.jpeg
    IMG_4205.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4210.jpeg
    IMG_4210.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4213.jpeg
    IMG_4213.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice going. I wouldn’t have been of any help with Body Work, but I never saw the post originally anyway.
First time I’ve seen it.
Glad you figured out a solution.

Now you’ll be the one to give others pointers in the future!😉😁

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Hey thanks! Just to be clear I wasn’t complaining. I really wasn’t surprised no one replied. I don’t think it made a lot of sense. Let’s just say I’m never the story teller.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Nope, made sense to me; however, my body skills are less than stellar. Lol

Randy

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Well also really spoiled on here. Usually have an answer stupid fast to any question. Very fortunate.

Anyway next piece along with a new question. Here are some pictures of the inner quarter patch panel I’m working on. Basically trying to make it so I can come back to it next winter and make/add the (cap) or (step) for this patch panel. I’m planning on getting it 90 percent done and just siliconing a piece on top for now. Reason is I really need to cut out right where that step is where the lower outer quarter attaches to the upper.

I think the only way to accomplish that is make 2 cut and butts while adding a small strip that is long and thin with a a 90. But idk if that’s even possible. I’ll point my finger at the areas I’m talking about for the cut and butt. And the basic shape of the strip I eventually want to add will be pointed out. Hopefully this will make it possible to put a new lower quarter skin on after I complete the cut. And you will get the basic idea of the plan.

If anyone has done this before or attempted it pls lmk. How did it turn out for you? Or if this plan is straight crazy lmk. Not trying to blow this thing into a million pieces. And I don’t want to make the final cuts until at least next winter maybe 2 from now. Because that means real body work. And if I actually have to put new paint on here I think it will look much worse.

I’m trying to copy factory spot weld portions where possible to make slightly less permanent.

Attachments

• IMG_4265.jpeg
    IMG_4265.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4264.jpeg
    IMG_4264.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4266.jpeg
    IMG_4266.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4263.jpeg
    IMG_4263.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4262.jpeg
    IMG_4262.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4261.jpeg
    IMG_4261.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4253.jpeg
    IMG_4253.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4251.jpeg
    IMG_4251.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4242.jpeg
    IMG_4242.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4243.jpeg
    IMG_4243.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 22

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I would be tempted to drill some holes and pop rivet a temporary patch until I got time to attack it full speed. My fear is you’re gonna wind up like a dog chasing his tail doing a temp fix now that requires more time and effort than will benefit just doing it once and done.
Just my two cents worth.

Randy

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
I would be tempted to drill some holes and pop rivet a temporary patch until I got time to attack it full speed. My fear is you’re gonna wind up like a dog chasing his tail doing a temp fix now that requires more time and effort than will benefit just doing it once and done.
Just my two cents worth.

Randy
This is my struggle 😂 Keep going back and forth. I have no problem just buying the panels. I’m just worried about the can I’ve already opened. And worried he do it right option is going to lead to all of the panels. Basically a Costco sized can of worms. And I don’t have those skills. Working on it though. But I definitely hear you.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I feel your pain, for sure. I started 3 years ago with the idea that some wiring, an ignition switch, some paint…you know, lipstick on a pig. Now it’s on Jack stands and more parts off than on and my wife keeps asking, “When are we gonna be able to RIDE in this thing?” 🤣🤣

Randy

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
I think this is going decent for the first patch panels I’ve ever made/installed. Far from perfect. But I’ve learned a lot. I wish I had a shrinker stretcher. But for the u.s. made ones it’s 400 bucks. So I made this. Worked pretty well. Figured I’d give an update.

Attachments

• IMG_4391.jpeg
    IMG_4391.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4392.jpeg
    IMG_4392.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4389.mov
    21 MB
  • IMG_4384.mov
    10 MB
  • IMG_4393.jpeg