• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock rear wiring harness for 68, what years work?

Redbark

I'm not ready to totally rewire my 68 Bronco and I need a new rear wiring harness. What year harnesses will work for this truck? It has dual tanks and no side lights. Will later harnesses work, with the side light wiring sealed off? Is the connection point to the main harness the same for all stock harnesses?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a good question. Lots of little changes to the other parts of the harness, but I bet they kept that connector and much of the wiring along the frame the same over the years.
Or if not exactly the same, at least usable.

I'm sure someone has tested that theory before, so you should get an accurate answer from someone. But I would think it's doable.
In fact, it's simple enough, that if you don't find a proper donor, you could make your own without too much sweat and drama.

Good luck.

Paul

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I just looked at a 75 and 77 harness and they are identical.

I am with Paul on this, probably not a lot of changes over the years, so those molded plugs(s) are interchangeable.

You have wires: one for each sending unit, running lights, brakes light, and back up. Nothing really complex.

In looking at the old harnesses, you have to face the fact that most of the used ones are "well used", 40+ yrs old. PO's have spliced into them or have used scotch-locks, the wires are brittle, and terminals are corroded.

Not sure what your skill set is, or what is wrong with your current harness. But you could rehab you existing one. Take all the tape off, rewire, or remove the bad sections. Solder in the new connections, and use shrink tubing, with liner (Marine grade from Harbor Freight) to prevent future failures. That would buy you some time...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can actually buy that section new still. http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Chassis-And-Taillight-Harness-1968-77/productinfo/18042/
It's probably pretty nice too, but unless you're doing a religious restoration I would think the cost is prohibitive based on what an entirely new harness costs. That's assuming of course that you're planning to ever replace the entire harness.
If you're not, and only want to fix a finicky rear section, then the cost is not bad.

But that's all up to the individual. At least it's new.
Or if you have a known-good one, then you're set with just the labor (PITA type) to take the old one out and put the new one in.

Paul

OP
OP
R

Redbark

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I'll probably just rewire it myself.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I have a '68 rear harness that's in good shape. The insulation is a little stiff but has no cracks. I'd be happy to let you have it for shipping charges just PM me.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Harness is in the mail. They say it will be delivered in a week or less.

OP
OP
R

Redbark

I appreciate your generosity. Individuals such as yourself make this a great community.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
you should be able to wire the rear stuff....tanks, lights, etc with new wire by yourself in a few hours. There ant nothing to it. Using a old wire harness would be stupid...the wire will be corroded. Get a spool of trailer wire.....4 color....that will get you halfway done.

That old harness you have coming in the mail....If you cut the wire and it is black, or has dust coming out of it throw it away. I just threw away 20 feet of 4ga monster cable cause it was all corroded up inside the sheathing. I now only buy tinned wire for my bronco wiring and speakers and i use adhesive lined shrink tubing and lots of dielectric grease.

Last edited:

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The harness worked perfectly in the '68, so saying it's no good without knowing anything about, it outside of it's age, is truly stupid.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
you should be able to wire the rear stuff....tanks, lights, etc with new wire by yourself in a few hours. There ant nothing to it. Using a old wire harness would be stupid...the wire will be corroded. Get a spool of trailer wire.....4 color....that will get you halfway done.

That old harness you have coming in the mail....If you cut the wire and it is black, or has dust coming out of it throw it away. I just threw away 20 feet of 4ga monster cable cause it was all corroded up inside the sheathing. I now only buy tinned wire for my bronco wiring and speakers and i use adhesive lined shrink tubing and lots of dielectric grease.

If dust coming off a wiring harness is a measure of its condition, we who live in the southwestern US are in big trouble! My harness is one year newer and the wiring is still in excellent condition. And since jckkys is from Tucson and I know he maintains his trucks, it's probably fine too.

Todd Z.