• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stiff Suspension - upgrade just shocks or springs too?

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Currently running old rancho suspension (3.5"). It rides extremely stiff.

I'm going to purchase a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks for all four corners. Should I also upgrade the front coils to a progressive spring or will the shocks alone solve my ride issues?

cody72sport

i had those exact springs. ditch them! i bought b.c. 3.5" coils, the ride height is the same so you can still use your leafs if you so choose. you wont regret putting bc coils

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
i had those exact springs. ditch them! i bought b.c. 3.5" coils, the ride height is the same so you can still use your leafs if you so choose. you wont regret putting bc coils

I was leaning toward WH coils. Anyone have a preference for progressive springs?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Shocks don't really have anything to do with stiffness. They just cause the dampening. Spring rate (lbs per inch of compression) is the stiffness. Rancho springs have a high spring rate.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
since it's a rancho lift, i'm assuming it's an add-a-leaf? that's gonna make it ride like a buck board. ditch it all and start from scratch. bilsteins will help too.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I have the wild horses progressive rate coils I had the super lift or skyjacker coils they sucked big time. The wild horses springs with my bilstien shocks are awesome.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
The bilsteins will help even with your old coils. I put a set of cheap shocks on the back of my truck and they made it ride a lot stiffer and worse than my old worn out bilsteins.

I have the WH coils on my Bronco with cheap shocks and they ride pretty decent. I''m sure the bilsteins would help them ride even better.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I've got deaver coils and leafs on my big bronco. Rides like a cadillac. Smooth!

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Where'd you guys get your deaver coils? I looked on the deaver web page and they list BC and JBG as vendors but I dont see any deaver coils listed for sale on those vendor sites.

Nevermind - just found it in a search: The JBG Super Flex coils are Deavers.

Last edited:

67Stallion

Loc.
Missoula,Montana
I replaced my 3 in. rancho lift with 3 1/2 jbg deaver coils and leaves, big difference, i thought i would have body lean on corners, but it dont, handles great! Running new rancho 5000 shocks, but will replace them in time with 7100 bilsteins!

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I replaced my 3 in. rancho lift with 3 1/2 jbg deaver coils and leaves, big difference, i thought i would have body lean on corners, but it dont, handles great! Running new rancho 5000 shocks, but will replace them in time with 7100 bilsteins!

Thanks for posting that - body lean was a concern of mine as well. I've read that the linear coils (Deavers) have less roll and wont sag like a progressive coil might.

I think I'm sold on the deavers and some 5100 Bilsteins.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Huh - just measured my lift - thought I had a 3.5" - just measured and came out to 9.5" Thats a 2.5" lift, right? Top of axle to bottom of frame...

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
The Deaver coils tend to sit a 1/2" to 3/4" higher than advertised in my experience, although they ride and flex great.

So the 2.5" coils should ride like a 3" coil? Thats good to know. I've placed my order with JBG.

Side note - shipping was only $15 from MI to NY. Thats great for springs!!!

Last edited: