• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Step by step floor pan removal and install

southbaybronco

I've been looking for someone that has a write up on removing the floor pans and how and where to start. What to cut and grind for removal and then the same for the install of the new ones. If someone can direct me to a thread or know of a step by step on the web please let me know.

Thank you,
Kyle

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Check this post out and the video within the post. If you do an advanced search for floor pan replacement, you will find a bunch of previous info. I sent you a PM with my e-mail address, in case you want some advice. Just finished installing my fourth set and although I'm no pro, they came out pretty nice. Good luck!

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142374&highlight=floor+pan+replacement

What a Dumb Ass! Sorry I left off the link.

Last edited:

ransil

Bronco Guru
step 1 remove old floor
step 2 install new floor

repeat for other side :D

I'm pretty sure this is going to be more detail than you will get out of super dave when he posts in this thread LOL

sp71eb

Loc.
North Liberty, Ia
Coming from a bodyman...... I wouldn't air hammer your spot welds apart, It does work but distorts the hell out of everything and can cause unnecessary work. Buy a spot weld drill bit. Blair rotobroach kits are 60 bucks on amazon and they work awesome and not just for drilling spot welds but for any drilling needs. Be careful they are brittle carbide. A spot weld chisel will come in very handy also. Another thing is weld through primer, a must have. I live in Iowa and at work if I were to install a weld on panel on a customers car and not put weld through primer and a wax based rust fighter on it, it would be rusted in no time. Gotta remember why you are replacing them in the first place RUST.

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
I'm currently in the process of replacing my rusty floor pans. The only problem is as you are tearing out the old floor panels you will likely discover rusted kick panels, door posts, tunnel cover, rocker panels, etc. Every small job has a funny way of becoming a much bigger job.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Coming from a bodyman...... I wouldn't air hammer your spot welds apart, It does work but distorts the hell out of everything and can cause unnecessary work. Buy a spot weld drill bit. Blair rotobroach kits are 60 bucks on amazon and they work awesome and not just for drilling spot welds but for any drilling needs. Be careful they are brittle carbide. A spot weld chisel will come in very handy also. Another thing is weld through primer, a must have. I live in Iowa and at work if I were to install a weld on panel on a customers car and not put weld through primer and a wax based rust fighter on it, it would be rusted in no time. Gotta remember why you are replacing them in the first place RUST.

I'm no body man, and not knowing what affect an air hammer would have, I WILL say having used the blessed air chisel is the way to go.

I experience ZERO distortion to the body mount channels you will weld the replacement floor pan to.

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
To hold the distortion down to a minimum I ground down the spot welds to weaken, then used the air hammer with the v notch in the middle to work the metal apart. One drawback with the spot weld cutter drill bits is, it can get expensive buying drill bits if you are doing alot drilling.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
A spot weld drill bit is the way to go.
Each floor is different so cut evenly and prep the floor support with por before cutting and welding the new pan in.
You will need to drill lots of holes in the new pan to fill later. An air hole punch tool is cheep and saves time on the holes near an edge.

sp71eb

Loc.
North Liberty, Ia
I'm no body man, and not knowing what affect an air hammer would have, I WILL say having used the blessed air chisel is the way to go.

I experience ZERO distortion to the body mount channels you will weld the replacement floor pan to.

Air hammers do have their place, I just don't recommend using them to remove spot welds. I know lots of guys that use them and spend lots of time fixing what they did with them. Just personal preference and trying to get some people who havn't done it before on the right track. And its alot easier to listen to music and drink beer to the sound of a drill;D