• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Wheels-what changed in 1974?

mebco09

What was the difference in steering columns from 73 to 74. Specifically, my question is whether I can put a 67 steering wheel on a 74 column.

My current project came with an incomplete column, and I was looking at a WH direct fit tilt column but wanted to use my 67 wheel. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends on your turn signal switch. (edit: nevermind, I see you're talking about a WH Direct-Fit column) Sometime for the '74 model year Ford changed to using a horn relay and a single contact horn switch. Versus the earlier two-contact switch.
The contact points are built into the turn signal switch and the matching contact traces are on the back of the wheel.

So you need to look at the turn signal switch and count the number of brass/copper/whatever spring loaded contact points. Your old wheel will for sure have two races/rings, so your switch needs to match.
If you're set on using the older wheel, you could try to retrofit an early turn signal switch into your later column.
I think it's been done at least one way or the other, but not sure how easy or hard it was.

Alternately there are now the transition steering wheels being reproduced. They are the '74-only type using the early style wheel and horn button, but with the single trace made for the later horn relay style systems.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry, just went back and actually "read" your post and see that you are planning to use our Direct-Fit column (thanks for that!) and so for sure you will have the later style turn signal switch with only a single contact for the horn and a built-in hazard switch on the side of the column.

So changing the switch is still possible, but a pain and you lose the new switch that comes with the column. Not a deal-breaker perhaps, but not the optimal practice I don't think.

Actually, I think someone just posted up a month or two ago about how they converted their older wheel to a newer style by making their own contact point on the back by using a flat sheet of copper cut to size.
Maybe someone will chime in with that info.

Paul

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Ok, so I understand, a pre 74 wheel will bolt up to a post 74 column. The only issue will be getting the horn to work? And there is a way do do this?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
it effects the flasher system too. early collums had flashers on the dash. the odd ball wheel had the flasher on the collum as did the later model columns and their specific wheel. the early wheel didnt use a horn relay and the 1974 odd ball did so the 2 collums were wired differently along with the hazard switch.

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Ok, where am I going to run into trouble:

1967 bronco. Keeping it mostly stock, except for AX-15 and sniper FI, one wire alternator. I will be rewiring the entire truck as the old harness is gone. (Thinking painless wiring here)

I don't have a complete 1967 column, just what's left of it. Trying to use the original wheel to keep up the stock appearance.

Figured the path of least resistance is a new column, figured a direct fit WH would work.

Is there an easier option?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, the early steering wheel wheel bolt to the late column. And yes the horn won't work unless you make modifications.

I think that hazard wiring can be gotten around relatively easily since you are starting with a new wiring harness.

There is now available a reproduction 74 only steering wheel. This has the old style look of the 73 and older, but the single horn trace compatible with the later column design.
It's not so much the column itself that was changed, but the actual turn signal switch with it's integrated horn connections. The early style used to horn contacts while the late style used to only a single horn contact. The horn button in the early model simply connected the two wires together to honk the horn. The later steering wheels connected the single wire to ground which activated the relay and honk the horn

The horn relay is a big benefit, so all broncos should be wired that way anyway. Your new harness will include a horn relay and you simply wire it up like a later column. If you go painless it is included in the instructions.