• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stainless Steel Fuel Tank

rjp1965

I am currently fabricating a stainless steel 23 gallon fuel tank.

Is there any merit to having it powdercoated?

Would I be an idiot to powdercoat it?

Am I an idiot for even asking this question?;D

Thanks

Stoneman

Loc.
Silver Spring, MD
I never paint stainless in my industry. When designers spec painted SS I always tell them to paint acrylic or alum. instead. How are you going to know it is SS if it is painted? If there are other merits to using SS for its alloy, then I don't see why painting is stupid...its certainly easier to keep clean/hide dirt.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I built mine out of stainless about 10 years ago and it looks just it did the day I installed it. No paint or polish... just shiny stainless steel.

Greg

OP
OP
R

rjp1965

Thanks guys. Sounds like I will have to disappoint the powdercoater. Im not too worried, I think I have already paid for his kids braces.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
No harm in powdercoating. If it fits your color scheme better, powdercoat it. My frame was hot dip galvanized, I could have left it bare...but I didnt really want that look, so I painted it black. If I had it to do over, I would have powdercoated it instead.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Can I ask what guage and type of SS you are using to build this tank?
14 or 16 guage SS?
304 or 316?
TIG or MIG?

OP
OP
R

rjp1965

No harm in powdercoating. If it fits your color scheme better, powdercoat it. My frame was hot dip galvanized, I could have left it bare...but I didnt really want that look, so I painted it black. If I had it to do over, I would have powdercoated it instead.

Thanks. I have powdercoated the frame black, but am thinking of leaving the stainless raw or possibly polishing it. If I don't like the way it looks I can always drop it and powdercoat it to match the frame.

Rocky1977Bronco

Loc.
Kapolei Hawaii
I made the cover for my 77 rear tank out of 316 ss, and I love it. But it really needs to be polished.

Attachments

• 77 fuel tank cover.jpg
    77 fuel tank cover.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 18