• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

show off your steering stabilizer setup

golfobx

Loc.
Suffolk, Va
looking to use a fox steering damper to match the other fox shocks I'm running.

looking for what set up, bracket placement, configurations y'all have come up with.

most of the bilstein and fox steering stabilizers are eye to eye, instead of stem to stem, so just looking for pictures and ideas on how you fit something similar on y'all's

thanks in advance

knack

Contributor
I went with the "delete" option. Don't miss it at all.

Deano

Bronco Guru
4f792997127708d9e73fd2486b804ae9.jpg
is this what your talking about?

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Removed mine and cut the mount off!

No shimmy-shock needed or required for a good a driving & handing machine.

Deano

Bronco Guru
I don't need them because it drives bad I just liked the look of them. one don't have any oil in it.

CW72

What about a show off thread for hydro assist? That has some real benefits.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Steering stablizers are more for a reduction of shock to the steering system than a fix for bad handling. Any handling improvement from a stabilizer is a side effect.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you are driving on the road and can tell a steering damper is working, you have issues with the suspension/steering that should be fixed and not hidden.

Do you care about impact loads to the steering box and frame when off-road? I prefer not having the guts of that expensive steering box smashed internally nor having the frame crack. A good steering damper does wonders there. Only time I ever noticed it (actually the lack of it) was running a nasty rocky trail. Would sometimes catch a tire on a rock and watch the steering wheel take a violent spin. Never did that before. Later found the damper bracket on the frame had broken loose. That was a lot of force that was routed away from the steering box over countless off-road trips. On the street, never knew the bracket was broken. Ran that way a couple of weeks before it was found.

So yes, you don't need one. Properly set up on the street you can't tell if it is there or gone. Even mild trails you will never notice it. But get into harder stuff, stuff that wants to rip the steering wheel out of your hands, stuff that beats the life out of the steering box, stuff that cracks frames, that is where having a good damper will take some of that beating and distribute it across the frame.