• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Show me your cut fenders without flares

malonejy

Bronco Guru
I bought some Warflares for Christmas but haven't gotten around to putting them on yet. I'm thinking I may try running without flares for a while. Yes I know the tires will protrude beyond the fenders but it's more of a trial rig and definitely not a DD. Show me what you got :)

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I just cut my front this past weekend and may have a picture at home. I can tell you that the Warflares were an easy install and really changed the look of my rig. I really liked how the rig looked before I put the Warflares on too, but this cleaned the rig up a lot.

Attachments

• Flares.jpg
    Flares.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 215

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Here's mine.. and don't plan on flares anytime real soon...

Attachments

• DSC_3020.jpg
    DSC_3020.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_3029.jpg
    DSC_3029.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 157
OP
OP
malonejy

malonejy

Bronco Guru
Chief Master Sergeant, that looks great.

sprdv1, as my Bronco become more and more off-road capable, I'm really starting to like that look. I think I may cut it open more for the warflares, but just not install them yet or ever depending on how much I like it.

Thanks guys. Hopefully more cool pics will show up.

James

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I don't blame ya man.. Try it out for a while, you may like it that way..

N747JB

No flares yet, but hopefully it won't be too long. ;)
IMG_20120319_150850.jpg

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's mine. I don't like flares at all so I just left it as it. It's rolled back for more strength.

Eugene

Attachments

• IMG_6639.jpg
    IMG_6639.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6638.jpg
    IMG_6638.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 75

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Here was one of my '76s (black )without flares during some restoration back in the early 90s and my first '77 back in 1986 when I painted it:

Both eventually had flares reinstalled once they were painted though.

Attachments

• img569.jpg
    img569.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 64
  • img573.jpg
    img573.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 52
  • img565.jpg
    img565.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 64
  • img564.jpg
    img564.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 78

70 U150

Loc.
Green Mountains
If your cutting your fenders for flares, what do you guys use for a template? How do you know where to cut them?

Sorry for the hijack

N747JB

I like that green! Reminds me of a lizard! Id have a hard time stickin a drill in that for awhile!
Well the holes are already there from removing the flares, we're just going reinstall them. Or at least that's the plan, gotta clean em up first, they may not look as good now as they did with the old paint.%)

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
If your cutting your fenders for flares, what do you guys use for a template? How do you know where to cut them?

Sorry for the hijack

I use the wide masking tape and put it on the fender/quarter. I will then hold the flare against the fender and mark the outer edge using a thin sharpie. After that, I make another mark about 1.5" inside of the first mark. This is the line that I will cut. I use a 4.5" thin cutting wheel on an angle grinder. Much prefer it to other methods. With some practice, it is easy to make a nice clean cut. These fenders don't have flares on them.

P1010012-1.jpg

P1010011-1.jpg

P1010010-1.jpg

KyleQ

Bronco Guru

Sorry for the hijack

You probably wouldn't like my method - I did both sides free hand with a plasma cutter, no stecil, no practice - just fired up the 220V and went to town. :D

5.5" lift and no body lift, so a lot of sheet metal had to go - front tires still will get into the fender if I try hard enough.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I mounted my flares in place with some of the wide jaw vice-grips, to get them exactly where I wanted them. I then traced the outer edge with a pencil. After removing the flares, I did as Broncosbybart did and measured 1 1/2" below the pencil mark and marked that with a sharpie. I used blue painters tape over the sharpie mark, which was visible through the tape. I used a high speed air cut-off wheel and it cut them off nice and clean. I was concerned about marking and pre-drilling the flares, as screwing up wasn't an option (Expensive). I PMed Jim at WH and he recommended a 1/4 space between top of flare and hole and a 2 1/2" spacing between holes. I used a silver sharpie and marked the flare before drilling. Didn't come out perfect, but that was operator error. Putting them on from there was simply a matter of taking my time and making sure they were lined up where I wanted them before I drilled the screws. Again, I used the wide-jaw vice grips to hold it and checked about five times before each flare was drilled into place. Even had two second opinions for each flare to ensure the backs and fronts were evenly spaced from the body line seam. A critical eye can see the mistakes I made, but if you're looking that closely you have too much time on your hands. Good luck!

Bullitt94

Loc.
Marshfield, WI
Here's mine before with 30in tires, cut with 30in tires, and cut with 35in tires. All pics are with a 2.5in lift.

Attachments

• Bronco1.jpg
    Bronco1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Bronco2.jpg
    Bronco2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Bronco3a.jpg
    Bronco3a.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 28

Broncotj0

Loc.
Mankato, MN
Thanks Glo. I have ran 14.5",12.5", 11", and 9.5" wide tires. When I went from the 14.5" to 9.5" I couldn't believe the difference in the mud. I could actually idle places I would have to be wide open with the 14.5". I used to run alot of mud, and we have alot of loose dirt/rock mix trails and when I got this thing a little more trail friendly I went with the 11's. For the combination of what I run I love these tires. Air them down to 4-5lbs and go.

Staying on subject, I had purchased flares from duffs (the bubble lookin ones) and didn't like the way they looked so I never put them on. Like others have said I used the flare itself for a pattern and cut them out with a plasma cutter.

Last edited: