• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shoot me some ideas here folks! Truggy project

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Alright, this is a project that I want to do coming up soon and on the cheap (dont we all). Anyways, I was out wheeling with a truggy a few weekends ago and was really impressed with what a blank slate that creates and just the fact that it was cool. It will be a Bronco, well as much as a Bronco a truggy can be and I plan to build it in 1 weekend for $1000. I know I am smoking crack but I think I can get it done with the amount of spare crap I have as well as the skills and tools that my local EBers have. It will be a community Bronco so those who want to wheel but their rigs are down can throw $50 into the upgrade fund, fill it with gas and go.

Here is where I am looking for a little help. I have it basically mapped out in my mind but it is nice to have some brainstorming with the hundreds of you all on here.

A donor vehicle will be purchased, likely an f250 or FSB (they are both super cheap and can be had for $250-$500). I have a Bronco tub, trail fenders, inserts, hood, etc. I will need a windshield frame and glass or will make one. Have a half cab top, spare frame, etc.

Donor provisions:
Steering box and linkage
radiator - I'll find a spot for it - (may move cab back or put it in the rear)
engine Big Block if needed but would prefer a small - might need to use a spare 302 and a stock bellhousing to mount up to 435 and np205 (these are cheap if married)
tranny (would prefer np435)
t-case - np205
drivelines (shortened in the garage)

Other parts-Things I will likely have to find or buy
gears
tires
will likely weld the spider gears for spools
trailer lights

Anyways, I am just starting to roll this around in my head and like I said this will be on the super cheap and done in a weekend Bronco fest (I am sure some of the locals wouldnt mind helping...hint hint) Throw me your ideas.

CastleRock69

Loc.
Castlerock
I got the radiator for you And I'm down with whatever help I can give you. The Radiator is a large four core "brand new" that I got for next to nothing. I'll bring it over on the 19th. But about that half cab????

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
What half cab you talking about? The rusty one? I picked up another one that went through a fire but is perfect other than that, absolutely 0 rust. I'll have to pound it out and add a brace to it. Are you looking for a top?

CastleRock69

Loc.
Castlerock
A long way down the road. Actually I don't know, if I got eveything I wanted I'd probably have ten early broncos and yes one of them would be a half cab.;D

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
So are we not thinking of using that tube bronco frame out of Yamhill? Or are we using it as a foundation and just hanging skins on it? I would be down with what ever wok needs to be done, and if we make a trip south we could use those Dana 60's if you don't want to hang them under the Beast!? I'm sure we could gather up all the need parts and make a nice long week end project out of it.

Shawn

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
So are we not thinking of using that tube bronco frame out of Yamhill? Or are we using it as a foundation and just hanging skins on it? I would be down with what ever wok needs to be done, and if we make a trip south we could use those Dana 60's if you don't want to hang them under the Beast!? I'm sure we could gather up all the need parts and make a nice long week end project out of it.

Shawn

You let me know when they are out of Mexico there partner! I'd have no issues with a pair of 60's. If we had those then I wouldnt need a donor vehicle. We'll see on the chassis, the tube one is an option but we'll see, I still need to go out and look at it, it isnt going anywhere.

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
I ve got a 60 rear You can use if interested, and some 8 lug steel wheels we could weld some beadlocks on, probably more crap too, I'll think on it and see what I can come up with

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Windshield can be a piece of lexan over the roll bar
steering box 79 bronco/80 bronco
Radiator on tube front
no front fenders
cut out all unnecessary metal
weld everything!
tube in as much as you can. tie the cage to the frame and seats to cage. cheap ass seats, baseline engine build
no frills electrical ignition, alternator, and trailer lights

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
Hey Josh I will have my Dad check today to see if there back yet. And when we go and pick up the 60's I also have there an NP435 with a 205 married, or we could take the 435 with the divorced 203, or..............? I will get hot on it!!

Shawn

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
look at the stuff I have in my sigline. If I have anything that may work and is cheap to send over let me know.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Windshield can be a piece of lexan over the roll bar
steering box 79 bronco/80 bronco
Radiator on tube front
no front fenders
cut out all unnecessary metal
weld everything!
tube in as much as you can. tie the cage to the frame and seats to cage. cheap ass seats, baseline engine build
no frills electrical ignition, alternator, and trailer lights

Yup, its gonna be a budget setup with as much recycling as possible. Tube front and rear, likely also doved in front, not sure if it will be a flatbed, I am thinking so with a flatbed on it. We'll see. This one will be made to take plenty of rolls, get back up and keep going. I'll have to look at what coils to use, need something stretchy and soft for the rear. It will be a redneck 4 link if I can budget, otherwise some yota leafs or something like that.

You know, some military surplus could work real well ;D ;D

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've been pondering this idea for some time. 78-79 FSB frame and drivetrain. Slightly widen and lengthen an EB body. I think it would take on a hummer look. The body mounts are about in the same locations.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
yeah it could. I know a lot of guys running on that distinctive 37" tread around some military bases.

Are you going to use the bronco stuff or start all over? I wish I was closer, I could be there with an extra welder, torch, tools, spongebob underwear, tennis shoes, and the ever important beer.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
yeah it could. I know a lot of guys running on that distinctive 37" tread around some military bases.

Are you going to use the bronco stuff or start all over? I wish I was closer, I could be there with an extra welder, torch, tools, spongebob underwear, tennis shoes, and the ever important beer.

Depends on what I find but probably zero Bronco drivetrain or running gear. At the most the 302 and radiator but not likely.
Body will be EB, I have a tub on the side yard that if I can get the dogs out of it (and the dog smell) should work. It is cut in half at the rockers but that would be an easy fix and the rockers wouldnt last anyways. I also have a pair of trail fenders and hood, just need a grille and windshield frame. Not sure what of the rear/quarter panels I would use, I actually have a really clean set but I think I want a flat bed with fuel cell/spare tire/ammo boxes mounted up.

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland