• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SEFI, Moates QH, strrroker learning curve tuning...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
So what are the big strokers using to tune their fuel demands? Goal is to hit the key and let the computer do the work... :eek:

what are the options that work and give great performance/driveability?

I'm installing on a 418:

Vic 5.8 efi intake
80mm TB
42# inj w/calibrated MAF
TFI Motorcraft dist.

What else do you need to know? I go from the ocean sea level dunes to 7,000 ft over the space of a week...

THANKS!!

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
The cam has a lot to do with how hard it will be to tune. Do you have the specs? How much vacuum at idle and cruising down the road?

If you think you can take something out of the box install it then have it tune itself I thnk you will be disappointed. If you are using a MAF that has more lattitude for correction but none of the aftermarket controllers use a MAF.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Believe it or not a mustang A9 ran my 393 right out of the gate. Started right up and idled perfect. It was way too lean under load though with 40 PSI fuel pressure. I have been told by others that that is common. just make sure the MAF is matched to the injectors. I will be surprised if you actually need 42 # injectors. Admittedly I have a high lift short duration RV type cam but I still make 396 HP at 5000 RPM on my 30 # injectors, and from what I saw they were no where near their max duty cycle at that point.

I probably put 1000 miles on mine working out other bugs before I took it to the tuner. I put a Air mixture gauge on it and an adjustable pressure regulator and had to run 95 PSI but I did get it to run at about a 14:1 ratio, it would just be too lean under some circumstances, but over all it actually ran better before it went to the tuner.

Like he said above, my cam has very little overlap.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
my cam is 219 intake 236 exhaust at .050" and the lift is. 588". Cam was designed with EFI in the future. it was ground by Flowtech off of corral this is what he does for a living.
I can dig out the rest of the cam info if needed. so what the quarter horse you literally program it from idle WOT and every possibility in between?

16" of vacuum at idle...cam was designed for instant throttle response, not peak hp

a local with a 351 has a tweecer on it with MAF and it runs fine...I realize it's not a stroker but he's run an aftermarket tuner with an MAF... So can you run a MAF with an aftermarket tuner or not? he is I'm just asking because I'm clueless! lol

Thx

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
my cam is 219 intake 236 exhaust at .050" and the lift is. 588". Cam was designed with EFI in the future. it was ground by Flowtech off of corral this is what he does for a living.
I can dig out the rest of the cam info if needed. so what the quarter horse you literally program it from idle WOT and every possibility in between?

16" of vacuum at idle...cam was designed for instant throttle response, not peak hp

a local with a 351 has a tweecer on it with MAF and it runs fine...I realize it's not a stroker but he's run an aftermarket tuner with an MAF... So can you run a MAF with an aftermarket tuner or not? he is I'm just asking because I'm clueless! lol

Thx

My guess is it will start and run on an A9. My cam is very close to that.

Camshaft, Hydraulic Roller Tappet, Advertised Duration 266/274, 218/224 @ 0.05 Lift .544/.555

not really much different than yours.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
The Quarterhorse is the only way to go IMHO.

The beautiful thing about being able to tune it yourself is that you can fine tune the MAF perfectly. You don't worry about what the MAF is "calibrated" for. You put in the actual data of your MAF, along with the correct displacement of the engine. This way load is calculated correctly.

If you want a crash course in tuning with a QH just shoot me a PM. You can log in to mine remotely and see if it's the right thing for you. I also offer remote tuning for the guys that get in over their head.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
"Life saver".... lol

Thanks, pm on the way.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
EFI that is a really cool offer!

16" of vacuum is really good that would not be hard to tune.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yeah it is... thanks!