• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rust inside fuel filler tube

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Has anyone come across this? I have a '74 Bronco that has just a little rust on the inside of the fuel filler neck? Can POR-15 cover / cure this? What would you do? Grind and paint? Paint with what? Or sand with scotch brite?
No fuel in tank ever or in filler tube.
Thanks all,
Forrest
ccd6e7bd94d359f9235ef8dc216a86d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
same as big muddy
wire wheel it and clean it up. When you put gas in rub some of the gas on it to keep it rust free
i wouldn’t want por15 in my fuel system or closed it

hatleyjm

I had a 1970 Chevy C-10 that had this problem. I used the Por-15 fuel tank sealer kit on the tank and filler neck. With respect to the opinions above, it’s been several years and the paint hasn’t flaked, peeled, or otherwise disintegrated. The rust also has not come back. Based on my experience, if I had your problem, that’s what I would use.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
When I was brushing POR15 on the bed of EB, I inadvertently got some on my hand that was holding the can. No worries, I thought, I’ve got gasoline and that’ll do it to clean up. Nope, not even a little bit came off. Found out that gasoline, mineral spirits, acetone…none of them worked. If gasoline won’t remove POR15 from skin, I can’t imagine it would on the metal filler neck surface.
Disclaimer::your results may vary. 🤣🤣

Randy

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That looks like extremely light surface rust. I've ignored much worse without even a hint of an issue. Doesn't even put a tinge of color on the filter.
You are going to have to show me something that looks a lot worse before I start thinking about ways to fix it.

OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Thanks guys. There isn't much a I'm on yr 7 of the build, but hopefully it gets started soon.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
When I was brushing POR15 on the bed of EB, I inadvertently got some on my hand that was holding the can. No worries, I thought, I’ve got gasoline and that’ll do it to clean up. Nope, not even a little bit came off. Found out that gasoline, mineral spirits, acetone…none of them worked. If gasoline won’t remove POR15 from skin, I can’t imagine it would on the metal filler neck surface.
Disclaimer::your results may vary. 🤣🤣

Randy
Be glad you didn't get it on your hootus. Maybe someone will provide a link.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I bet that forum is beyond tired it that thread being linked other places! IT is a riot though!

MISF used POR-15 to seal a custom fuel tank after the tow truck operator manged to mangle it with his 'J' hook just enough for it to weep.

A feller whom I trust on another forum uses and recommends this over Kreem or POR's "U.S. Std" fuel tank sealers: https://caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html He mucks about with a lot of really old motorcycles, so he's regularly dealing with rusty fuel tanks.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
never knew that about por 15. Good to know
i was thinking with the nozzle hitting it over and over it might chip didnt know they had one for gas tanks

ol gray mare

To remove the rust inside, I would duct tape the ends shut after putting a little buckshot in and shake it for a while. I've had pretty good luck removing crud from old bottles that way. even some small rocks would work.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
To remove the rust inside, I would duct tape the ends shut after putting a little buckshot in and shake it for a while. I've had pretty good luck removing crud from old bottles that way. even some small rocks would work.
That’s an issue with my main tank needing the crap cleaned out. Tank is not on the truck right now so it SHOULD be relatively easy to clean; however, the main tank is plastic so would the buckshot work? In the past I always used either ball bearings or a short piece of swing chain but a lot afraid of damaging the tank. The auxiliary tank is brand new (hada gaping tear in the tank’s top front area) so that one’s not in need of cleaning. What would you recommend for cleaning the tank???

Randy

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
@Speedrdr
As long as you don't go crazy shaking your tank you should be ok. Nuts, bolts, screws, etc also work. Chain works well too. Your plastic main tank won't have rust attached the same way as a metal tank. Really shouldn't be any rust unless from other sources like the sending unit, fill neck or fuel transfer, much easier to clean up.

Keep in mind you are using an old plastic tank when cleaning. You could try a plastic gas can for practice if you want to.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
@gnpenning, Thanks for that. Hadn’t thought about “practicing” on other plastic thinners. I’ve got several 5 gallon plastic Jerry cans that would work. The old auxiliary tank got ruptured some way or another (at least two owners prior) so I can see the structural integrity it is lacking, even with a ‘skid plate’.

Randy

OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
So,
got all the fuel lines hooked up and found that I had reversed the outlet and return to the tank. When I disconnected the return, a little fuel came out, but not much. Now hooked up correctly, no fuel pressure after cycling 6-8 times. I disconnected 1’ from the tank outlet, cycled the fuel pump 4 times, no fuel coming out of in tank Waldro unit. How many times does it take to prime the pump? I have a sniper TBI unit, so the fuel pump cycles on when ign key goes to run, but shuts off after 12 secs or so. Should I try giving the fuel pump more cycle time to pump or? I really don’t want to drop the tank but I’m banging my head on this one.

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you sure you had them reversed?
Yes, sometimes pumps don’t like to prime, and sometimes it takes awhile. Sometimes they won’t even do it no matter how much you try!
But once the fuel starts to flow through the correct port, the siphoning affect takes over and, depending upon how much fuel is actually in the tank, is likely holding fuel right up against the pump.
Have you tried removing the inlet side of the pump to see if fuel is there?
How much gas is in the tank?

OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Are you sure you had them reversed?
Yes, sometimes pumps don’t like to prime, and sometimes it takes awhile. Sometimes they won’t even do it no matter how much you try!
But once the fuel starts to flow through the correct port, the siphoning affect takes over and, depending upon how much fuel is actually in the tank, is likely holding fuel right up against the pump.
Have you tried removing the inlet side of the pump to see if fuel is there?
How much gas is in the tank?
Paul thanks for the reply.
Yes, I had them reversed, and confirmed fuel outlet with Matt @ WH.
5 gal new gas with stable added in tank as of this last week. Pump is in tank, so I don’t know if there is movement of fuel, I guess I should open vent to tank or the fuel filler tube to allow movement of air into tank too. I’ll do that tonight once it cools off.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’ve even heard of people fitting some kind of nozzle to the tank and adding air pressure to encourage flow to the pump.
But I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anybody doing that with an in-tank pump. Probably just not necessary typically.
Could the pump be wired backwards?
I’ve often marveled at some pumps lack of markings on two terminals.

I think an in-tank pump shouldn’t have to go through all the usual priming drama.
Should do it right away.

OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
I definitely have the correct line going out now. But I can't just reverse the wiring for the fuel pump as the Ground is common for tank, fuel pump, and fuel gauge. So, looks like I gotta drop the tank. Photos are from installation
28b944d6cad3e3336a064410b84b1478.jpg
ff41da8436516e43b1c81b2ffbd0566a.jpg
80dae4667b520dadd763eae9fcb2c262.jpg

OP
OP
74 Bronco Billy

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Well, this now makes sense. The rubber "S" hose had become disconnected, so it is wired correctly, gas fountain in the tank. There is no barbecue on that metal outlet, I think the multiple cycles of trying to get the gas to go in the return line compressed the air in the line until the hose failed. Err. I tightened it with a socket REAL tight.

While I was there, I tested the fuel sender...77.8 ohm empty, 11.2 ohms full. After 20 mins on Summit Racing hold, they found my model, 0-30 ohm for a CHEVY. WTF. Rrr. Can't return the gauge and the tank is a Ford sender....75.00 for a new fuel gauge. At least they still make the style.
a9355b6f3ccf9f1a9f06d52d6edcaf38.jpg
00e194bbc5f20d18abeeb772a2c2ca21.jpg
7193d7bbbc1064966008210af724d8df.jpg