• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rubber shock boots

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
Not sure if Brand matters but I have (Bilstein) shocks on MY GURL and they have been coming off . I have tried zip ties but they still ride up and expose the opening. Is this a big deal/concern? I assume everything has things/covers on them for a reason.

So the question is can I just cut them off (but then obviously the rod is exposed and debris/rocks/dirt can get inside or is there a cover that's available to cut off the old boot and cover with a better cover?

If you have photos /part numbers and where to get them it would be much appreciated!

If you need additional photos please let me know what info will help........( the auto part store would ask ......, it's a '74 Ford Bronco 302 Automatic..... ,

Nothing against the auto part store employees, just funny what they ask for when all your looking for when your trying to buy light bulbs, wipers......) hope someone appreciates the little humor.

Thank you in advance for your time/help,

Sonny

Attachments

• 20240311_112043.jpg
    20240311_112043.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 5

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A regional thing. The boots are good running fast in the desert where the shaft can take a beating from sand and rocks thrown at it.
But go more midwest and the are the opposite. They trap mud and grit inside and make things worse than not having them.

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
Since I'm on the West Cost (California) most of my trips are desert/mountains. So in should keep the boots on. Are there aftermarket boots to replace the stock ones since there coming off and zip ties are not working?

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
Thanks (bfoldy), I will have to look into that or see if there is a local shop that sells them because of shipping. I ordered (01) side marker lens cover (think it was like $10) but shipping was like ($5 or $6!) Nothing against our vendors I know they dont make the shipping rates.

Obviously I have never replaced a boot before. Looks like you have to remove the shock to slide the boot over, is that right?

Contributor
I’m on the west coast and don’t run them. No issues.