• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Restoration Experts in the Southeast?

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
So, I want to do my axle assemblies, transfer case, and part of my engine myself. The rest I plan to parcel out to competent experts, mechanical-wise. What I need is a premier body and frame person. I have a cousin who was the best I've ever seen for body and paint work but his problem was he never charged enough for his work and got burnt out, ended up changing paths. Now he remodels homes and such. Can anyone suggest a body man / person in the southeast, with references? When my Bronco is restored, I want it to look good 30 years from now, not rusting at the seams and paint or clearcoat flaking off. I'm retired military, so I have a decent retirement, but it's not unlimited. I'm living in south Georgia now, but my plan is to be in Tennessee within a few years. For a credible paint and body person, I'm good to take it anywhere east of the Mississippi, north to Kentucky through central Virginia. Please let me know! Thanks...

OP
OP
dmoses42

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Nobody has a suggestion? If you don't want to put it out publicly, send me a PM. Or if you have questions. . . .

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I'll tell you from experience, it is HARD to find a good body shop that will spend the time to restore older cars/trucks. Best thing is word of mouth in your neighborhood. It doesn't sound like yours is able to drive, but I found a guy (haven't used him yet) that a lot of people recommended. I would get out of my Bronco and strangers would ask me what color I was going to paint it. And they would know a guy or had someone paint for them.
Ask around at your local car dealers body shop. Alot of those guys do a side hustle at their house that do good work. Good luck

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Nobody has a suggestion? If you don't want to put it out publicly, send me a PM. Or if you have questions. . . .
I’m not sure if you would travel to north Mississippi, but there’s a body shop (I’ll have to get the name) that trained, so to speak, at the best body shop in the state. He went on his own because he wanted to work on older models. If you are interested, I’ll get th contact info for you.

Randy

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Working on it. Spent the day (and most likely tomorrow) on top of a 20’ windmill tower trying to get the new gearbox and fan and tail installed. Will do my best to get it to you by Wednesday.

Randy

OP
OP
dmoses42

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
I'll tell you from experience, it is HARD to find a good body shop that will spend the time to restore older cars/trucks. Best thing is word of mouth in your neighborhood. It doesn't sound like yours is able to drive, but I found a guy (haven't used him yet) that a lot of people recommended. I would get out of my Bronco and strangers would ask me what color I was going to paint it. And they would know a guy or had someone paint for them.
Ask around at your local car dealers body shop. Alot of those guys do a side hustle at their house that do good work. Good luck

No, my old girl ain't been on the road in over 25 years due to many factors. Driving it one day I got a BIG puff of smoke out of the steering wheel. Got it home (on pins and needles) hoping it wouldn't burn to the ground, figuring its the steering column wiring. Went to pull the steering wheel and found that a PO had cross-threaded the steering wheel nut and jacked up the steering shaft. At that point she went to the back burner and sat. For a great long while. Finally get back to her, open the hood and the brake lines on the master cylinder have rusted off. Knowing I have to replace everything on the brakes, steering shaft (converting to power, so more parts), and most likely every gasket, seal, and bearing on it, I figure now is the time to restore. But nobody seems to have anyone they want to suggest, so I'm going to a random car show this weekend in Savannah to talk to random people with nice cars to see if they know someone who wants to restore a vehicle they probably have no knowledge of how to restore.

Reactions: kat

Jaybr

Contributor
Lick Creek in VA does really nice work but last I talked to Tom he was 2 years out on new restorations. I hear good things about Nick’s Tricks in NC, but no personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
It's going to be tough to find places to do 'parts' of the project. Maybe you have all of this nailed down. If it's going from shop to shop for all of this stuff, I wouldn't want paint on it at that point. Based on what it sounds like you're doing, I would almost repair / replace / assemble all the stuff first and then tear it back down for paint after the fact.

OP
OP
dmoses42

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Jaybr, I messaged Nick a couple of days ago, he's backed up 3 years and over $100k for a nut and bolt restore. I spoke with Tom a few years ago but hadn't followed up. I'll follow up with him.

BG, What I'm getting at is that I'm mechanically inclined enough that I can rebuild the axles and transfer case, and the assembly portion of the engine (obviously I ain't got a machine shop so I won't be doing that part). I've already built my harness for Explorer EFI. I plan to buy an AX15 conversion kit from Advance Adapters, so the drivetrain portion I am pretty sure I have a grip on. I have no business doing the body work or paint. I tried doing some "elementary" body work in my early teens, and you have to have a certain touch for feeling minute imperfections (tiny dents, small waves, etc) and I ain't got it. I can't do bodywork. I haven't tried painting. But from spending all my youthful summers with my cousins who did paint and body work, bad paint and body work sticks out to me like a sore thumb. Poorly matched paint, orange peel, poorly sanded bondo work, poor taping prior to painting, bad panel alignment, all that chaps my hind parts. That's all I have nailed down. I don't plan to take it from shop to shop having various things done. Frame down, I think I can do. Electrical I can probably do most of it. I'm even going to be buying an upholstery sewing machine to do my own upholstery this year. I just don't want to duct tape and bailing wire fix it until I can have it restored. I want to do it once and do it right, so I will likely be doing something like what you are thinking: axles, then t-case, then engine, pull the body and drivetrain, take the frame to get dipped and galvanized, buy the trans conversion, put the drivetrain back together, then hopefully I'll have found a respectable paint and body person to do the body. I'm retired military, so I have the time to do the things I feel like I can do. I just know my limitations. Maybe this makes more sense than my original post.

Jaybr

Contributor
Sounds like your project is similar to mine, I'm doing most of the mechanical stuff and looking for someone to do the body/paint. i've torn the 73 down to the frame and it's pretty much done reassembling with new everything. I'm waiting on a new body as the old was would cost me as much to fix as a new one. Original plan was to send it to Tom, but I've moved a couple hours further away and he's really backed up. He did rebuild a 4r70w for me and and gave me a very reasonable trade in $$ on the 5.0 that I got with the trans.
I've gotten a couple body shop references from the local bronco club, and I'll probably talk to Fantomworks (from the TV show) as their very close by. I did find a good restoration shop locally but they don't do paint. They've done some powder coating and tig welded a couple things and do nice work and are easy to work with.

OP
OP
dmoses42

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
My issue is I think my Bronco body is not that bad. But I need somebody competent with Broncos to look at it and tell me if I'm grasping at straws or if it is as decent as I think it is.

Jaybr

Contributor
I have one that is not that bad, and one that is clearly bad.