• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing Unused Parts

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

This question is not too specific to Broncos; but, I'm hoping other folks here may have thought through similar build situations.

I will be installing propane on the '71 within the next couple of weeks. It will run on propane only (not a dual conversion that will allow it to run on either gasoline or propane).

Since it will run propane only, I am leaning towards removing the main and auxiliary gas tanks, fuel lines, selector solenoid (to switch between tanks) and fuel pump.

Converting the Bronco to propane with the type of tank I'll be installing, and not having the dual fuel option, will really limit my ability to sell this Bronco in the future. My wife wants to keep it, and this will pretty much make that the only option for us.

Removing everything will make things cleaner. The downside is that it will need to be reinstalled if I convert it back to gasoline. I doubt that I will ever go back to gasoline; but, it's something I'll keep in mind.

The fuel lines run inside the frame rail, and pick up a lot of heat from the exhaust system, so even if I would convert back to gasoline, I would probably install new tubing which would run outside the frame rail.

If I remove everything I would probably hang onto it all... just in case. But, I would also consider selling it.

Any thoughts (or lessons learned the hard way)?

Jeff

70_Steve

Old Guy
Hey Jeff,

If it stays propane forever, then no point in thinking about going back to gas.

If you decide to convert back to gas for your own use, pitch the stock main and aux tank and go with an aftermarket 23 gallon main tank. Also, as you already mentioned, you'd want to rerun the fuel line(s) (Supply and Return for EFI!!) on the outside, or top, of the frame. No need for a selector switch.

If you convert back to gas to make it more saleable, then 2-3 hours work and the fuel system is back to stock.

I say pull all the stuff you don't need.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
You must be installing a large propane tank in it so you would never need the extra milage a regular gas tank would give you....I Say Dont Look Back...