• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Redoing my body mounts!

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
All,

I can't seem to track down the thread I am thinking of.

I am going to be swapping out the old BMs for a new set of Duff's tomorrow night.

Can I get lots of input here, as well as a director to the thread someone posted showing how they did the install? There was a right & wrong way to installing the these I recall reading the thread, but can't locate it right now. Also, something about masking tape & box wrenches sticks in my head as far as not losing my nuts in the chasis!

As always, thanks for the help in advance!

MnkyBiz

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Just take your time before you begin to lift the body and double check that everything is disconnected that needs to be and that none of your wiring will get hung up also check your starter and battery wires. Mine barely made the stretch. Lift one side at a time. I used a floor jack with three 4x6s three foot long, screwed together to make them one solid block and lifted the body from under the rocker panels. Worked perfect but make sure everthing is steady as you lift so you dont spit out the jack. Place tape over the holes in the frame before you install the middle mounts on the tub cause if you drop a washer on nut it will be lost in the frame and you'll be on your way to the hardware store.

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
When you screwed the wood together, did you make it into a rectangular foot print, or did you use them one atop another.

When you mentioned lifting form under the rocker, do you mean where the spare tank is nestled, or on the lip of the rocker?

sorry for the Q's, just trying to make sure I get it right!!!!

Thanks!

MnkyBiz

TJK74 said:
Just take your time before you begin to lift the body and double check that everything is disconnected that needs to be and that none of your wiring will get hung up also check your starter and battery wires. Mine barely made the stretch. Lift one side at a time. I used a floor jack with three 4x6s three foot long, screwed together to make them one solid block and lifted the body from under the rocker panels. Worked perfect but make sure everthing is steady as you lift so you dont spit out the jack. Place tape over the holes in the frame before you install the middle mounts on the tub cause if you drop a washer on nut it will be lost in the frame and you'll be on your way to the hardware store.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I just screwed them on top of each other so I had a 3 foot long piece 6 inches wide and 12 inches tall then just centered that on the floor jack. I lifted. directly under the rocker and butted the edge of the block against the lip undernieth. I was doing a 2" body lift so you might not need a 12 inch block just to do the mounts you might be able to get away with 8 inches depending on your floor jack

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are duffs better than the other suppliers? are some better than others, any i should just steer clear of?

Good luck with the install.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I used WH's I think duffs are just as good. I chose the WH cause i wanted to keep them black. Colored poly also has a habit of fading and looking grappy over time.

70_Steve

Old Guy
MnkyBiz said:
Also, something about masking tape & box wrenches sticks in my head as far as not losing my nuts in the chasis!
Before you put your pants on, run masking tape around your waist and the the legs of your shorts. That will keep your nuts from getting lost! ;D

I did pretty much what TJK74 did. Used a 4x6 across the bottom of the rocker, on the outside of the lip. Used a piece of 4x10, maybe 10" long, on end on top of my floor jack. Before I started removing my old mounts, I jacked up the side about 2-3", just to take some pressure off the mounts, because I chose to sawzall through mine.

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Thanks all for the input!

I chose the Duff's because my rig is blue/white. I want it all blue where I can get it. Also, the PO did the 3.5 susp. from Duff's and I am a type A person!

I'll try to get some photos of this!

MnkyBiz

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
before you try installing the new mounts besure to tape off the holes in the frame under the mounts that are behind the front seats. the insert will fall through it. ie show stopper.