• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rectangular opening in driver side rear wheel well

Jec0402

Contributor
Loc.
Broward County, Florida
I’m sure this is already been covered, so I’m sorry if I’m wasting your time, can anyone tell me what this rectangular opening is in my driver side rear wheel well.

Attachments

• IMG_0611.jpeg
    IMG_0611.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0612.jpeg
    IMG_0612.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 69

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
It's part of the emission system, a rubber gromet with 5-6 plastic tubes come thru and attach to a plastic cannister, it's all covered by a metal plate. the hoses go to the charcoal cannister and the engine. You're missing a bunch of parts!!!:oops::rolleyes::oops:

NJBronk

Contributor
A PO may have converted to the later charcoal canister style (mounted higher up in firewall) and ditched the evap tank and charcoal canister in the front passenger fender well. You can look for the rectangular charcoal canister under the hood.

Or, a PO may have ditched it entirely and drilled a hole in the gas cap to vent the tank that way...

Hopefully you have some sort of vent still...

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I’m sure this is already been covered, so I’m sorry if I’m wasting your time, can anyone tell me what this rectangular opening is in my driver side rear wheel well.
Is this on the '68 listed in your sig file? Just curious because it wouldn't have had any of that.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Jec0402

Jec0402

Contributor
Loc.
Broward County, Florida
Hey Toddz69, yes sir It is on my 68 however nothing would surprise me at this point. The guy I bought it from cut a lot of corners and I’m just trying to figure it all out.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Ok. That's actually kinda funny. The best ones are the one's where it is unintentional....

But Yeah. It might have "already been covered."

If your Bronco tub is a 1970 without Evaporative Emissions, then the evap condensation bottle and grommet would have been deleted...and that opening would have in fact "been covered." There is a rubber oval plug that snaps into the hole if you have a 1970 without evap.

If you have a 1970 with Evap, (or if you live in CA, and you think all Bronco's have Evap...) then @NGABronco is accurate in his post.

But if you have a 1968 year model Bronco with that opening, then you don't have a 1968 body tub. Easy e nough to verify. Check the firewall opening near the throttle linkage where the main wiring harness comes out. If it has two rectangular holes, about 3/4 x 1-1/4 then it is pre-1971. If it has a circular hole for the wiring, then it is a 71+. @toddz69 is on to something here...

The rubber plug is difficult to find, but usually inexpensive when you find it. (about $20) Nick at Northeast used to have them, but he was out of stock as of last year. I used to have a Fed Spec 1970 non-evap Bronco that had the plug.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Looking at your avatar photo, the windshield does not have hold down bracket, hood is missing U-bolt for said bracket, and hard top is not a 68 original (I see you mention that in you sig line).
Also what little sheetmetal shows in above photos looks pristine.
As stated above may be a "new" body tub.

2023-05-15_101701.jpg

The guy I bought it from cut a lot of corners . . .
I hope the VIN on the frame agrees with the paperwork.