• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear lift kit done. Final questions

jeremywatco

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Good evening.

Finished swapping out the reae junk 2.5" lift the PO had with a new WH 2.5 with Bilsteins.

Couple of wrap up questions before I move to the front.

The rear shock mount on the passenger side is now a smooth bolt lol. When I took off the nut all the threads came with it. Anyone know the next size down thread? I was thinking I can just cut new threads into it and use a smaller nut.

Final question pertains to the front... going to tackle the front tomorrow. Bronco already has a 2.5" lift and I am just swapping with more modern stuff. The WH kit came with all new C-Bushings. Should I bother putting them in at this point? Like I said I already have a 2.5" lift and have no castering issues.

See my pic below. Are the shocks supposed to be that compressed just sitting neutral?

That's it. Took all day for the rear but that was dealing with horrible rusted bolts. Front looks rust free so hopefully that goes well. Plan on replacing all the bushings as well.

088a41c81a474670b0c1e5aa0b186078.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If any doubts about rust pre-soak the nuts with wd or something. As far as re-threading the shock mount give it a try. I would put some miles on it and check it a few times to make sure the smaller size is holding. Worst case you have to replace the mount anyway.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
How much piston do you have sticking out of the shock? Optical illusion maybe, but your shocks look a little long.

Also, I slid the boot up the shock body and zip tied it higher so it wasn't all "balled up" at the bottom

OP
OP
J

jeremywatco

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Thanks all. Put the front on today. Didnt mess with the bushings. Again.. was swapping a 2.5" lift with a 2.5" lift. Everything went as smooth as it can be with a rust bucket of a car LOL. Need to invest in jack stands that extend up 4 feet into the air. Had to do some pretty dicey jacking and blocking.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks all. Put the front on today. Didnt mess with the bushings. Again.. was swapping a 2.5" lift with a 2.5" lift. Everything went as smooth as it can be with a rust bucket of a car LOL. Need to invest in jack stands that extend up 4 feet into the air. Had to do some pretty dicey jacking and blocking.

I use the VF-99 adjustable pipe stands from Ridgid...they have worked great as frame stands for my EB, have a 2500# capacity and a height range from 28 to 51 inches. I usually use my forklift to get them up to height quick, but you can do it with a block and floor jack, hi-lift, bottle jack and block, etc, it just takes a bit more time and effort. My rig is sitting on them now at full droop with 37's off the floor.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca

That's why you need kids to hold all the blocks in place

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Make sure to retorque all the bolts until your sure they are holding touque. For me within the first week and then once a month until your sure they are holding. You just messes with everything that keeps you on the road. Better safe than sorry.