• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Problem keeping Bronco running while driving

Brittain

Loc.
Wichita
My issue is i was driving and all of a sudden the engine would cut in and out, it would not die until I got to a stop light. But as I was driving and it would cut or spurt i would keep my foot all the way down on the pedal, it would act like it got gas again and be fine, then do the same thing. I barely got home. What is causing this? Carb, fuel filter, fuel pump?

So the other issue was when it died at a stop light I could get it to turn over but then it would die, so I continually kept turning the key, at one point I turned it too fast and something is making a loud cranking noise when I turn the key? Starter, timing belt? Everytime I start it it now makes that noise like something is off key or broken.

thoughts on both?

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
with the first issue , It sounded like a coil going out to me.. Heats up and dies, cools off and runs again..

On the second issue , when you say you "turned it over to fast" do you mean that you hit the starter while it was still turning?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Kinda sounds like the carb is flooding. If you have to keep the pedal to the floor to keep the engine running then its flooding. Probably have dirt in the needle seat or its just gone bad and is leaking.
As for your second issue maybe the starter bendix is going bad and hanging up causing the noise.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Water n trash in the fuel line can cause your first issue .
X2 on bendix.

OP
OP
B

Brittain

Loc.
Wichita
best or easiest way of cleaning this?

Starter is pretty new but I should say that when I said I was turning key to fast I meant that, when I was trying to start it again, I turned the key to turn engine over, when it didnt start, I turned the key back to the left and before it quit trying to turn over I turned the key back to the right again and that is when the clanking noise started, not sure I am making much sense, sorry

OP
OP
B

Brittain

Loc.
Wichita
Ta;led to a buddy and he thinks the fuel pump is going bad, it sounds to him as though it is trying to get gas and sporadically is but not enough. Who knows, guess i will look into that along with fuel filter as well.