• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pro Deluxe Fiber Glass hood from Jeffs Bronco

stack

Bought pro deluxe hood from jeffs .
The hood curves up in middle where the fenders are flat .Doesn't line up at all.
Ive tried weighting it down for long period of time to no avail just went back to where it was. Contacted Jeffs and manager Pat told me it would eventually lay down which I think is BS .
What do you all think or have any Ideas to make it lay flat???

Attachments

• hood 2.jpg
    hood 2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 147
  • bronco.jpg
    bronco.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 150

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Are you using a prop to keep it open or the addon hydraulic struts? They could keep the center up. Other than that it will probably never lay flat.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've seen quite a few like that over the years. But did yours lay flat when you first installed it and it's starting to bend up? Or has it done it from the beginning?

I'm not fiberglass-savvy enough to know if there is a trick you can try, but maybe someone knows of a combination of heat and weight that could do it.
Otherwise, when possible it's usually done with "body work" prior to installation.

Crossing fingers there's a simple (and cheap) cure.

Paul

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How did it lay before the paint was applied? did you do the body work or did someone else do it? Bronco looks WICKED by the way!

OP
OP
S

stack

painted it before i Put it on was like that from the start. guess should have put on first but thats hind site .

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
I don't see you being able to fix that with body work. You'd need so much filler it would be ridiculous. I realize body parts need some massaging, but that looks too far out of spec.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My guess is it would take a couple well placed relief cuts to the underside edge & maybe reinforcing at the cuts to get a show quality fit. I know even steel hoods will fit different from one truck to another so it doesn't surprise me that it needs some work. That's one of the things we get working on 50 year old trucks.

OP
OP
S

stack

My guess its just poorly manufactured just didn't know if anybody has any tricks.
I built this body and painted it myself so I know little about doing things but dont have any ideas on the hood other than replacing it .

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
How much weight did you put on it and for how long? I had a similar issue as I used steel hood shocks instead of fiberglass hood shocks and it bent the hood. My paint guy had it like this for 4 days and it did level out quite a bit.

sQodZaQ.jpg

OP
OP
S

stack

I weighted it down for 4 or 5 days..
Is that a Jeffs Pro Delux hood?

OP
OP
S

stack

got stock fenders . I called and Pat the manger said it would lay down in year or so.
So that was the response.

OP
OP
S

stack

The manager at Jeffs said it would lay down in a year . ( I really dont think so)

661buster1963

I’m in the fiberglass business (less sexy world of underground fuel tanks) and creep of the product should always be designed out with proper stiffeners and ribs. Polyester and vinyl ester are the ‘go to’ systems do to cost, polyester being the cheapest. They cure and shrink about 1%, thicker parts cured in multiple steps. A lot of my truck is being done in fiberglass only because it’s easier for me to work with than steel.

68ford

Bronco Guru
My buddy has that hood and I have what appears to be the exact same hood from wild horses. I think they get them from the same fiberglass manufacturer. Ours both fit perfect. I'd get another hood.

OP
OP
S

stack

Talked with Pat again he said he would contact the manufacturer so will see how that goes..