• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Precision Weatherstripping

75Denver

Has anyone used Precision weatherstripping? I installed these last night and now my doors require HEAVY force just to get the door latch to catch. When I open the door, it pops off the latch and body surface by nearly 3/4-1". Outside of the latching issue, the product looks great and fit perfectly to the body.

If you haven't used this particular manufacturer, have you had similar results?? If so, will that go away with use or do I need to rip them off and start over? I bought them from a reputable source and figured since they restore Broncos, they're using them and back the product even for customers.

Attachments

• IMG_2443.jpg
    IMG_2443.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 42

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I have never used that brand. They should eventually get broken in and be easier to close but it will probably take longer than you want to wait, maybe years....by then your door/window mechanisms will be all beat to hell.

There are dozens of threads on the forum about door seals and what people have done to tweek them. I removed the plastic retainers from the bottom of mine, cut out the extra layer of rubber, glued them in, greased thin up with silicone and let them sit in the heat. It still took hours of tweaking, adjusting, and trimming of the chunks on the end to get them where I could close the doors with just a gentle swing.

Do some searching on the site for tips. You have nothing to lose by trying to trim them and make them better. Worse case you just start over with a different set.

Metro Moulded Products Supersoft seals were great at one time. They retooled and I have not heard how the new ones are. There was a user on hear a month or so ago that bought some and was about to install. I have also heard good things about the ones from Northeast Classic Ford Parts (Delconick on here), Wildhorses, and Dennis Carpenter.

I think no matter which ones you get, you are going to have to do a lot of trimming and fitting if you don't want to slam the doors. Every Bronco seems to be a little different. Don't rule out adjusting the doors temporarily until the seals settle in. Then you can tighten them up again.

PaveBronco

have you tried heating them up with a heat gun, not a hairdryer, and closing them for a few days?

OP
OP
75Denver

75Denver

I have never used that brand. They should eventually get broken in and be easier to close but it will probably take longer than you want to wait, maybe years....by then your door/window mechanisms will be all beat to hell.

There are dozens of threads on the forum about door seals and what people have done to tweek them. I removed the plastic retainers from the bottom of mine, cut out the extra layer of rubber, glued them in, greased thin up with silicone and let them sit in the heat. It still took hours of tweaking, adjusting, and trimming of the chunks on the end to get them where I could close the doors with just a gentle swing.

Do some searching on the site for tips. You have nothing to lose by trying to trim them and make them better. Worse case you just start over with a different set.

Metro Moulded Products Supersoft seals were great at one time. They retooled and I have not heard how the new ones are. There was a user on hear a month or so ago that bought some and was about to install. I have also heard good things about the ones from Northeast Classic Ford Parts (Delconick on here), Wildhorses, and Dennis Carpenter.

I think no matter which ones you get, you are going to have to do a lot of trimming and fitting if you don't want to slam the doors. Every Bronco seems to be a little different. Don't rule out adjusting the doors temporarily until the seals settle in. Then you can tighten them up again.

have you tried heating them up with a heat gun, not a hairdryer, and closing them for a few days?

Thank you guys. I went through all the past threads and what was discussed was my next step (slicing out the backside). I ended up doing that and it still didn't work. In a moment of frustration, I got really annoyed and ripped them off. They now live in the bottom of my trash can. Sucks because they were very well made just WAY too thick or hard of a compound. I'm about to make some calls and if the next pair doesn't work, I'll try the heat gun a couple times and leave the doors to mold a fit. Has anyone given Jeffs a try and been happy with the results?