• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pinion Bolt Torque Spec

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Could someone tell me what the pinion bolt torque spec is? I tore up my rear driveshaft on the way to work yesterday, and have to replace the yolk today and install a new drivehaft. Could someone tell me what I need to torque the bolt to that holds the yolk on? Thanks!:cool:

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I believe the spec is 180 ft lbs or atleast thats where I hit mine to.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
If you have a crush sleeve on the pinion shaft the only proper way to torque the pinion nut is by pinion rotational torque measured in inch pounds.

When you tighten the nut on the pinion yoke on a Ford 9 inch rear end your pre loading the pinion shaft bearings. TOO much preload and the bearings will fail. Not enough and the shaft won't run true and gear teeth pattern won't be desirable.

I'm not going to type out the entire procedure for torquing the pinion nut.

Google it! There's good info all over the internet.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
BAD68---
honey, i promise i'll get the bronco out of the living room in time for ....

love that!!! The bronco parts in the basement wasnt too bad but when they started ending up inthe living room......even the kids got pissed!!

OK hijack over

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1326.jpg
    IMG_1326.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 7