• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Photo request - Bronco driving in snow

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
I'm working on a series of Christmas cards with Bronco's in them. Maybe 4-5 different scenes? Uncut, cut, rock crawler, half cab - a little something for everyone. Hopefully I'll have the set ready for next year.

So far, I've only painted Bronco's in India ink but for the Christmas cards I want to do them in oils, so they'd have that nice old world painterly look.

dclack

Motoman, how do your locker do in the snow? Does it feel squirly, or do they hold pretty true in the corners? Steering?

That depends on the type of locker, your tires, and how much snow. I have detroits front and rear. If it's just a little snow or been plowed, they suck. In 2wd the rear wants to be in front, in 4wd the Bronco pretty much goes wherever it wants. I just recently had to drive it in such conditions and you just have to go very slow and let off the throttle or disengage the front (twin sticks make that easy) in the corners.

On the other hand if there's several inches to several feet of snow, then lock it in 4x and put your foot in it! ;D

Last edited:

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Motoman, how do your locker do in the snow? Does it feel squirly, or do they hold pretty true in the corners? Steering?

Early on with the Bronco and lockers people tried to tell me off camber snow would be a problem. It has NOT been a problem. I turned the Bronco into a billy goat!

Love the lockers in snow!

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I'm working on a series of Christmas cards with Bronco's in them. Maybe 4-5 different scenes? Uncut, cut, rock crawler, half cab - a little something for everyone. Hopefully I'll have the set ready for next year.

So far, I've only painted Bronco's in India ink but for the Christmas cards I want to do them in oils, so they'd have that nice old world painterly look.

Can't wait to see the final art!

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
Here are a couple of my 69 playing in some snow.

Attachments

• DSCF0273.jpg
    DSCF0273.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF0275.jpg
    DSCF0275.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF0274.jpg
    DSCF0274.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 95

Nothing Special

You weren't asking me, but I had Lock-Rights in both axles of a '95 F-150 for a year. The front locker was extremely dangerous in higher speed driving. In 4WD on a slightly snowy freeway I was changing lanes. As the left front tire hit the snow ridge between lanes it lost traction. With only the right tire pulling (on the front axle) the steering wheel was wrenched to the left and the truck jumped over 10 feet before I could catch it. I tried to be ready on the next lane change and it only jumped 6 feet that time. I shifted into 2WD and never used 4WD on the highway until I got the locker removed.

In slow speed driving the front locker was pretty annoying, but it worked so well that I'd probably be willing to put up with it. But no way should anyone have an automatic locker in the front axle of a vehicle that will be driven on snowy highways in 4WD.

On the other hand, a Detroit in the rear axle isn't bad at all. I've had one in a CJ5 that I drove year-'round, plus the Lock-Right in the F-150 for 9 years. I have one in my Bronco too (but I don't drive it in the salt). Automatic lockers have some quirks in winter driving, and I wouldn't put one in a vehicle that my wife or older son would drive much (they aren't people who want to think about the vehicle they are driving). But I wouldn't hesitate for myself or my younger son. In fact, I think a Detroit is a lot easier to drive on snow or ice than a clutch-type limited slip.

Ranchtruck

PIC00007.JPG

With chains on and the trailer hitched up for its daily winter chore of feeding the cows.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not the best snow shots but dug a mud hole out with the light blue Bronco, and took a cruise in the other when the sun came out.

Attachments

• IMG_1603.jpg
    IMG_1603.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1604.jpg
    IMG_1604.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 73

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
ain't had crap here for accumulation which really I don't mind lol

fordfan