• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Peanut" '75 Hunting/Trail Rig Build Thread

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
HaHa, Jimmy what makes me think this will be a Hunting/Show truck!!!;D;D;D
Looking good!!!:cool::cool::cool:

I promise you, it won't be a show truck! I'm having to do things out of my normal to make sure!

Thank you Ben!

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
what did they use for a lift under the front springs, a piece of pipe? like how they kept the caster also, I think that's the first time I have ever seen radius arms modded that way

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
what did they use for a lift under the front springs, a piece of pipe? like how they kept the caster also, I think that's the first time I have ever seen radius arms modded that way

Yes. That's an innovative lift! Looks like the radius arms have been cut and dropped which was one of the few ways of keeping caster in the days before the invention of degreed C bushings.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Yes. That's an innovative lift! Looks like the radius arms have been cut and dropped which was one of the few ways of keeping caster in the days before the invention of degreed C bushings.

The square tubing is actually welded to the side, causing the arms to be further inward. I suppose for tire clearance.

All of the front suspension will be changed. Stock radius arms, degreed bushings, and lift coils. And yes, it appears to be pipe capped off at the ends and bolted to the radius arms.

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Heater box wasn't as lucky. Not a big deal though as we have plenty, and I was doing the blower upgrade anyway.

Looks like a nice build.

What's the blower motor upgrade?

Also, curious to hear why you would swap in a fuel injected 302 with 113k instead of rebuild what's in it now. I'm assuming it has a factory roller cam, which has some benefits, and I understand the benefits of fuel injection (mileage, fuel response, easy starts, not affected by steep angles the way a carb is, etc), but that's a fair amount of work.

Reason I'm asking -- I have a stock 302 in my '69 and I plan to rebuild it, albeit with a few mods (347 stroker kit, aluminum heads). Once it's all said and done, it will almost certainly be more expensive than buying a wrecked Exploder with a 302, but I like the idea of having all new or rebuilt internals.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
The blower motor upgrade is basically a stronger blower motor and bigger cage, which creates more air flow. I got the blower and cage from Advance for under $40 I believe. The blower and cage are for a late 70's C***y pickup. It requires some trimming to the heater box, but its very minor and easy to do.

There are several factors that went into the swap. First obviously it needed an engine or rebuild. A rebuilt engine would be nice, but expensive. At that point we still wouldn't have EFI, so we would either have to find all the bits and pieces needed for EFI, or buy a new $300-$400 carb which would obviously not be as reliable.

Second, the dash and wiring was going to have to be removed anyway due to the fire. So that is part of the work toward an EFI swap already being done. Also with that, the tanks needed dropped and cleaned or replaced.

The Mountaineer we got was only $600, and it is complete. We will use the engine with serpentine, wiring harness, and fuel pump. After that, we can resell the remains or part it out, as the 8.8 rear and 4R70w trans are worth a bit. I know some people think 113k miles is a lot, but actually it is very low for one of these engines. These are known to last 250k plus with little to no engine trouble. I feel a lot more confident in a factory Ford engine than a rebuilt one with aftermarket parts. Also, an Explorer/Mountaineer normally faces a LOT less abuse than a Mustang.

So why the Explorer style EFI over Mustang? One, it has OBD2. You can plug a scanner in and check codes, unlike a Mustang. Two, it uses coil packs. No distributor or timing to worry about. Three, they are a lot better for low end torque than a Mustang when stock. A Mustang is designed more for higher RPM power. The Explorer has a better flowing intake and heads, and a better low end torque cam. Also, it is a roller engine as well.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
The blower motor upgrade is basically a stronger blower motor and bigger cage, which creates more air flow. I got the blower and cage from Advance for under $40 I believe. The blower and cage are for a late 70's C***y pickup. It requires some trimming to the heater box, but its very minor and easy to do.

Looks like a nice build.

What's the blower motor upgrade?

Here's the thread....

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54371&highlight=blower+motor

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX

There are several factors that went into the swap. First obviously it needed an engine or rebuild. A rebuilt engine would be nice, but expensive. At that point we still wouldn't have EFI, so we would either have to find all the bits and pieces needed for EFI, or buy a new $300-$400 carb which would obviously not be as reliable.

Second, the dash and wiring was going to have to be removed anyway due to the fire. So that is part of the work toward an EFI swap already being done. Also with that, the tanks needed dropped and cleaned or replaced.

The Mountaineer we got was only $600, and it is complete. We will use the engine with serpentine, wiring harness, and fuel pump. After that, we can resell the remains or part it out, as the 8.8 rear and 4R70w trans are worth a bit. I know some people think 113k miles is a lot, but actually it is very low for one of these engines. These are known to last 250k plus with little to no engine trouble. I feel a lot more confident in a factory Ford engine than a rebuilt one with aftermarket parts. Also, an Explorer/Mountaineer normally faces a LOT less abuse than a Mustang.

So why the Explorer style EFI over Mustang? One, it has OBD2. You can plug a scanner in and check codes, unlike a Mustang. Two, it uses coil packs. No distributor or timing to worry about. Three, they are a lot better for low end torque than a Mustang when stock. A Mustang is designed more for higher RPM power. The Explorer has a better flowing intake and heads, and a better low end torque cam. Also, it is a roller engine as well.

Thanks for the details. I prefer the simplicity of a carb, but will eventually get around to trying EFI on one of my cars.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Thanks for the details. I prefer the simplicity of a carb, but will eventually get around to trying EFI on one of my cars.

By the time all the unnecessary components are eliminated from the harness/computer and engine, the Ford EFI Setups are actually fairly simple. As I mentioned before, the Explorer style has the OBD2, so you can take it to Auto Zone and pull codes just like any modern vehicle.

I do agree that the look and functionality of a carb is simpler.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Been a while since an update...

We got the front floors and the firewall blasted, patched, and coated a while back. That was the last big accomplishment. Then everything got busy with the baby on the way and a few other things so we hadn't worked on it much in a while.

Today we got back on it and pulled the rear 3rd out. It was in surprisingly excellent shape but had a spool, so instead of taking it apart we got out another 4:11 3rd member to take apart and put the Grizzly Locker in.

This was about all we could do today since it's cold and raining. Hopefully soon we can get the engine bay, windshield frame, and hood painted. Also need to get the 5.0 and harness out of the Mountaineer.

Attachments

• IMG_2353.jpg
    IMG_2353.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2354.jpg
    IMG_2354.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Looks like the floor pans were pretty nice "rust free"

They weren't horrible, but had some small rust areas. If this were going to be a nice Bronco I would have just cut them out and replaced but for a woods truck they will be fine.

Like I told Ben earlier in the thread, this is out of my normal! ;D

Bferrari

My hat is off too you, I pulled mine in the shop for a few month cleanup to make it a hunting rig .... 3 years later and now I don’t want to get dirt on it! Nice progress! Look forward to seeing the finished product.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
They weren't horrible, but had some small rust areas. If this were going to be a nice Bronco I would have just cut them out and replaced but for a woods truck they will be fine.

Like I told Ben earlier in the thread, this is out of my normal! ;D

I know it's not April yet, so this can't be an April Fools post. Let me know when you plan on getting the Bronco offroad - I got to see that!;D

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I know it's not April yet, so this can't be an April Fools post. Let me know when you plan on getting the Bronco offroad - I got to see that!;D

Nope, I'm telling the truth! Going back to my roots on this one! ;D

Believe it or not Ginger has been making trips to the cabin and to the fields checking our property also! :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_2358.JPG
    IMG_2358.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 108
OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
3rd member built with new Grizzly Locker and 4:11 gears. Axles have new bearings also.

We decided to remove the lift blocks in the rear and match the spring lift to the front. We have 2 new sets of coils, fingers crossed that one matches!

Attachments

• IMG_2523.jpg
    IMG_2523.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Rear axle is reassembled, with the lift blocks removed and new U-bolts installed.

The D44 we are using is torn down and soon to be put back together with new seals, ball joints, and the disk setup off the donor F150 axle after we get it taken off.

Attachments

• 5678BB9D-6D9D-44DA-B79D-042E61067594.jpg
    5678BB9D-6D9D-44DA-B79D-042E61067594.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 4532A3B1-19F5-43EC-B169-1C5133ED5333.jpg
    4532A3B1-19F5-43EC-B169-1C5133ED5333.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 50
  • AF2EEDA7-E50E-422D-BE27-EB9C1CE8017A.jpg
    AF2EEDA7-E50E-422D-BE27-EB9C1CE8017A.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 51

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Nope, I'm telling the truth! Going back to my roots on this one! ;D

Believe it or not Ginger has been making trips to the cabin and to the fields checking our property also! :eek:

What a view :cool:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Rear axle is reassembled, with the lift blocks removed and new U-bolts installed.

The D44 we are using is torn down and soon to be put back together with new seals, ball joints, and the disk setup off the donor F150 axle after we get it taken off.

glad you are getting some action / time in on it

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Finally got the EFI harness out of the Mountaineer. The PCM is going to EFI Guy, and the harness will be going to a guy he referred me to since he is booked on harness work until Fall. This was much harder to do with the engine and trans still in place, but I wanted this out first so I can get in line for the harness rework.

The front axle is in the process of going back together with the disk setup also!

Attachments

• DC8A7AE2-FFAD-415F-A903-B7A1FD1B6F19.jpg
    DC8A7AE2-FFAD-415F-A903-B7A1FD1B6F19.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 119E85E6-B56A-4E0E-85C5-F9384762E035.jpg
    119E85E6-B56A-4E0E-85C5-F9384762E035.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 34