• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless Harness Install

Sherlock

Folks,
I'm installing a Painless Harness on my 76 Bronco and managed to reach a point where I'm not sure how to proceed. I've installed the glove box, fuse box, routed the 3 bundles through the firewall and am working on the dash. I didn't take the dash out because I thought I could install it that way but I'm now at a point where I think I need to cut the little zip ties that hold the bundles of wires together just to route the under dash wires to the correct location (instrument cluster, ignition, etc.).

So my question is whether or not folks have been able to install leaving the zip ties that were already put on the bundles of wires or have had to cut them to route the wires to their respective dash areas. I think I have to just because I can see no other way to get rid of the rats nest that seems to happen.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

BroncoChicken

I pulled my dash to install a Painless harness. Most of the wires should be correct length/slightly long. For the loom that goes out the passenger side hole in the firewall, it runs toward the driver's side then doubles back to the passenger side.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I was hesitant to cut the snaptie/bundles , they were all so organized and neat. But yes you'll have to cut them the closer to their connection points they come. I cut the ties and separated/rerouted the wires but put new ties on each of the"new separate bundles " that i just created.

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I took dash out, but have read about several owners doing the install with dash in the truck. Just take your time, and don't cut anything until you are triple sure of what you are cutting!

OP
OP
S

Sherlock

Thanks. I've cut a couple of the small zip ties and it helps with organizing the wires. Still slow going. As mentioned, I'm taking my time to make sure I make all the right connections and not chase issues later.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Any butt connection or connector i installed i used the " waterproof heat shrink" connectors AND also used heat shrink tubing on top of that - not overkill just didnt want any loose connector issues - ever again .
I didn't take out my dash ; and when i put a new harness in the other Bronco I wont pull the dash for it either.
The only issue i had with the entire "Painless" install was the front turn signals/park lamps wires were crossed . Not just a Painless issue i've read that other mfg can be wrong also. I believe i read that some of the wiring was backward from the factory - this is an Easy fix - so -

OP
OP
S

Sherlock

Appreciate the info. I've never done the heat shrink before. I'm a little outta practice on my soldering skills as well

OP
OP
S

Sherlock

Another question...I read in the Painless install manual that the dash label lights terminals are supposed to come preinstalled and mine weren't. The kit included 3 terminals to use and, of course, I messed up on crimping 2 before I got my crimping process down right (and yes, I bought a crimping tool based on other classicbroncos thread.

I spoke to Keith at Painless to let him know of the situation and he gave me a website, del city.net, on where I could find these Ford specific connectors. I'm not having any luck finding them.

I've used the alphanumeric characters on the side of the terminal, GTS2, in trying to search and it's not working. Does anyone know where to find these terminals (and/or terminal part number)?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't remember ever seeing the exact connectors myself. Always ended up using the originals saved from the old harness, or just standard push-on types.

Do you remember what page that was on where they mention the connectors? I've been running down some corrections to send to Eric at Painless and would like to add that one too.
I'll check it out myself, but in case you had the page number at the ready it would save some time.

Thanks

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nevermind. Found the page.
I can't remember if the one I just worked on for a '73 had the wires pre-terminated or not. I'm thinking not too though, so will check another harness when I get back in to work in a few days.

Paul

OP
OP
S

Sherlock

Thanks Paul! The manual has a pic on the bottom right of page 13 of the manual. Darned if I can find them.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
In "a pinch" you could always use the regular female spade connectors that come with the harness. They're the same size but they dont form a " box' around the male terminal .I'm not sure what issues that would cause but I don't think that would effect anything.
Even the connectors that come with the harness don't snap into the dash lite bezels so if that's what you're looking for you'll have to reuse the factory " clips/connectors. "

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, that's what I was using when the factory connectors were not available. Just regular old female blade connectors.

I've seen those Ford-specific bare connectors pictured in their book before. If it wasn't Del City, it was Waytech(sp?) Wire.
It's possible they no longer carry them for lack of demand, but they're likely still out there if you look hard enough. Personally I would not spend much time and energy trying to find that exact one.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just checked both types of kits (with and without switches) and both had the special connectors in their box-o-parts.

You could always call Painless to see if they can send you some, but I'd just use the standard stuff and be done with it.

Paul

OP
OP
S

Sherlock

Appreciate the feedback.

I spoke to Keith at Painless and he directed me to Water and delcity. I asked for a part number and he didn't have it. I'm getting back to my installation this weekend and will use generic female connectors. Will make darn sure i test fit them on the dash panel lights first.

OP
OP
S

Sherlock

Yup, already called Keith at Painless again and he directed me to Watek since I couldn't find it at Delcity. I'm done searching and will just go with the standard female connector.

Thanks again folks for you feedback. Gotta get back to my harness install this weekend.

Almost forgot, free beer to anyone close to Poulsbo, WA who has done the installation and has time to help with the install this weekend. It's slow going and trying not to get impatient with wanting to get it done.