• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Original one & only Boss Bronco from Ford

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a great looking Bronco!

Do you think the Prototype had the Power Steering and the C4 Automatic (Mustang Shifter) from Ford, or was it added later?

Kinda curious since these options for the production Bronco was not available until 1973.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Interesting that they tested different stripe patterns on the driver and passenger sides. The TC and tranny shifter set up looks cool too.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Interesting that they tested different stripe patterns on the driver and passenger sides. The TC and tranny shifter set up looks cool too.
That's a bit misleading. The photo of the passenger side without the 'Boss Bronco' wording is older and how it was found in 2017 (found by my editor at CarTech Books). The current owner redid the original decals with 'Boss Bronco' on each side.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That's a great looking Bronco!

Do you think the Prototype had the Power Steering and the C4 Automatic (Mustang Shifter) from Ford, or was it added later?

Kinda curious since these options for the production Bronco was not available until 1973.
The power steering was added later in its life (it's a stock Ford box) as were the power brakes. It's my belief that this truck was the first one to ever have a C4 installed in it - the adapter is very crude/homemade looking (there's a picture of it in my book). Stroppe used Mustang shifters in the Broncos so it's my belief they installed the shifter at Kar-Kraft when they did the conversion in June 1969.

Todd Z.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The front black grill also makes it look like a Special Decor. Can't quite tell? Is the front of the core support Black as well.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The front black grill also makes it look like a Special Decor. Can't quite tell? Is the front of the core support Black as well.
Yeah, I always wondered if Ford came back to the pics of this rig 7 years later when they developed the Special Decor package - hard to say. I looked through my pics and couldn't tell the color of the core support for certain, but I think it's body color if I had to guess.

Todd Z.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
That's a bit misleading. The photo of the passenger side without the 'Boss Bronco' wording is older and how it was found in 2017 (found by my editor at CarTech Books). The current owner redid the original decals with 'Boss Bronco' on each side.

Todd Z.
Not just the Boss Bronco lettering but also the shape of the hockey stick stripe is different on the pics of both sides. Which side is original to the prototype?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I
Not just the Boss Bronco lettering but also the shape of the hockey stick stripe is different on the pics of both sides. Which side is original to the prototype?
I realized my original reply was a bit incomplete/incorrect. The hockey stick decal on the driver's side with the Boss lettering is the correct shape - mimicking the original.

However....there were two different decals on the prototype. They both had the same shape but the one in the attached photo is the original one (note no Boss lettering). The photo of it in front of Ford Styling with the Boss lettering is a little later.

Todd Z.

Attachments

• IMG_1326.JPG
    IMG_1326.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 37