• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil Leak on Filter

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
Going on the 2nd year after build and about 4000 miles. About 6 months ago I noticed a lot of oil leaks around the pan. Upon inspection many of the bolts were loose to the finger. With a ratchet I was going to snug them up but with any pressure make things worse and squeezed the cork gasket out. Last week I dropped the pan, cleaned up the old multi piece cork gasket, pan and RTV, replaced with Felpro rubber gasket. All seemed well but still have a drip at the oil filter and looking for ideas or next steps to get a resolution. (cleaned filter area when changed oil and no debris or old gasket material)

Bronco is a 77 with 351w, Wix filter 51515 running VR1 10/30. Oil pressure about 60 until warm and drops.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting. I’ve heard of leaks here occasionally, but never experienced one.
How far do you tightening the filter when you’re installing it? Do you go until the gasket touches down, and then another 3/4 of a turn?
That was kind of the traditional “tight“ but I don’t know if that’s universal for all filters. But it should be pretty close.
Under-tightening or overtightening can sometimes cause this. When you ran your finger around the surface, there were no nicks or scratches? And it sounds like you verified that the old rubber ring seal was not left on the engine block.
Or maybe there wasn’t an old filter, because this was a new build?

Sorry, that’s all I’ve got. But check the tightness anyway.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
How high is your oil pressure?
PCV set up properly? (if not, it could cause enough pressure to push everything out.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
A bad seal in your fuel pump can cause oil to blow out of the weep hole and onto the filter.

OP
OP
TX-ZACH

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
I cant figure out how to multi reply.

Paul the filter is hand tight as in as hard as I can twist it. Im 6-3 and 240# and can put some torque on it. Ive never used a external filter wrench on any machine.

Guys: Fuel pump weep hole or pvc makes more sense as I have never had issue with WIX sealing. There is evidence of oil on the fuel pump. I will read through that other thread. Crank case is well vented and PVC is less than 6 months old. Oil pressure jumps up to 60ish when cold and drops to a little over 40 once warm.

OP
OP
TX-ZACH

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
Fuel pump is cleaner than the oil sending unit plus sending unit is directly above the filter. I suspect it’s the sending unit.

Attachments

• IMG_3992.jpeg
    IMG_3992.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3991.jpeg
    IMG_3991.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 26

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I cant figure out how to multi reply.

Paul the filter is hand tight as in as hard as I can twist it. Im 6-3 and 240# and can put some torque on it. Ive never used a external filter wrench on any machine.

Guys: Fuel pump weep hole or pvc makes more sense as I have never had issue with WIX sealing. There is evidence of oil on the fuel pump. I will read through that other thread. Crank case is well vented and PVC is less than 6 months old. Oil pressure jumps up to 60ish when cold and drops to a little over 40 once warm.
To multi-reply, you just reply to one, then scroll up and reply to the other and it will appear. You can also jump around pages and it should keep what you wrote.

My experience says filter doesn’t need to be as tight as a big guy can make it. Contact and then maybe a half turn or so should be enough. Tight but not over the top. And a filter wrench is only for removing.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, the old “seated, plus 3/4 of a turn“ is taken right from the printed instructions on the filter bodies on some brands. Including Fram.
I believe the Ford books might state the same thing as well.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Sounds like you're overtightening the filter. Also put a thin coat of new oil on the rubber gasket before you screw the filter on.