• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie to EB, Intro. & issues

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
J**p TJ guys a few years ago; now two wives later I just got my 1st EB.
It's a '67 w/ a 351C 4v, Holley carb., Edelbrock intake, MSD distributor coil & ignition. Electrical harness had been replaced w/ a Painless kit. Front's been changed to a D44. Still has all drum braking & no power steering. All this has been done by PO.

Main issues that I must fix: Drums need adjusting; no biggie. The things that concern me 1st are: Electrical: Tons of loose/ non-connected wires everywhere! Battery drains shortly after shutting her down; not sure why it drains. PO states there's a ground on the passenger side and there's not enough power getting to the brake and turn signals on that side. I don't know where to begin since the systems all been changed from stock & I don't know much about electrical.

Second is steering: There's alot of play, but I think its all in the upper portion of the column. I think the PO grabbed the steering wheel to pull himself up in it; the steering wheel has ALOT of wiggle in it.

So... hello; please bare w/ my ignorance; and thanks for any help or suggestions.

Moon's74

Loc.
Henderson, NV
Welcome!! As you can see, I'm a newbie also, but this is the place to find out anything and everything you need to know to do anything you want to your EB. I've upgraded my power steering, changed my transmission, put on a lift, and I'm getting ready to install my front disc brakes. I couldn't have done any of it without the people on this site. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask.
Once again welcome.

Moon

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
welcome aboard, try searching for a thread on the painless wiring there have been many posts about that, also painless prob has a help line.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your electrical is going to be a semi-nightmare it sounds like. However, the good part (silver lining even) is that all your wires are new, so you don't have to spend near as much time tracking down issues due to old, worn wiring.
Sounds like a bad, or an insuficient, ground to me from what you're describing.
Anything else electrical not working?
Unfortunately, for some reason PO's seem to be the enemy of common sense sometimes. Probably why they're PO's to begin with.

Do you have a digital camera? Not only can we maybe help better if you can get pics of your battery and it's main hookups along the fender/engine/firewall area, but we get to see your Bronco too!

Good luck. And welcome aboard too.

Paul

OP
OP
jalapeño

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
Ill get pics as soon as it stops raining.
From what I can tell, the only gauge that works, is the fuel gauge. The rear passenger lights don't work. There was never a plate light mounted (we need them here in PA). Thats all I can tell, so far.

luderchris

Bronco Guru
Loc.
SouthEast PA
Jalapeno--

I test drove that truck almost a year ago -- you picked it up in Aston, PA -- right?

I drove the thing and it runs strong -- it was the no power steering, hard pull to the right when you apply the brakes, and the "slow" battery drain.

How much did you pick up the truck for? He had it for sale for quite some time.

BTW -- I am Philly Burbs too -- about 5 mins from where you bought your truck.

OP
OP
jalapeño

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
Paid 6 for it.... don't tell me what he was asking before....
The steering, braking & electrical will all be fixed before I get her on the road; it was just one of the better platforms to start from that I found within driving distance. I didn't want to buy & have one shipped without looking at it 1st.

Aston: with traffic: 3hrs away... without 40min... Gotta love the traffic around Philly.