• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie Intro/Question

mattbo505

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Hey guys been lingering for a bit and wanted to introduce myself and ask a question.

I recently acquired a 72' from PA and I don't know where to start? I've started a list of obvious needs to get it road worthy and nit pick along the way, but i don't know what to start with first?

The bronco runs and has already been converted to dics. The floor pans are out and will need the kick panels addressed as well. With the pans out and complete access to the transmission should I focus on engine/transmission first and then worry about metal or vice versa? It feels like it would be easier to get mechanics good before worrying about floor pans and kicks. Any advice would be appreciated.

My current list of needs:

-Mechanical
Steering column rebuilt (3 on the tree)
Rear main or oil pan leak (uncertain and haven't really dug to deep)
Carb rebuilt
Rear driveshaft grinding (I'm thinking the U-joint)
I'm sure I forgot something.

-Body
6" Frame repair on driver side by gas tank (rusted out bottom piece)
Kick panels
Floor pans
Rocker panels
Door posts more than likely (be better to do while everything else is being done)

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Welcome Matt, to the sickness. Best place to get info, direction, Guidance, help, I can go on... It is all here. Great group of people.

So like a house, you need a solid foundation so I would start with the frame and work your way up. You want it to be safe, stop and go, and be reliable. But don't just start taking it completely appart, one way to lose momentum and desire. Work on it and try to keep it on the road. As my Wife reminds me it is a project and it will take time. Body work, an expensive component of Broncos. You might consider getting a replacement body, it will save you $$ and time in the long run. But you will miss out on the satifaction of doing the work yourself and getting to know the bronco inside and out (and having to buy all sorts. of tools)

Again Welcome to Classic and maybe some local Broncos owners near you will chime in and offer help... In the form of their experience, local business they trust to work on Broncos, tools to borrow, and maybe their labor... Provided there is is food and drink provided ;)

OP
OP
M

mattbo505

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
The frame is pretty solid besides that 6" or so section by the fuel tank. Id rather stay away from the complete body replacement and keep the patina. I'm not really into complete resto just like to enjoy it as it sits. I doubt i will have the time to do the body work so will more than likely out source to a shop and handle the mechanical myself. Thanks for the advice it's a step in the right direction for me.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome aboard Matt.. You definitely found the right spot..

2 good tips.

Our vendors are top notch and you can't go wrong w/any of them.
Find local folks from here to help out & attend as many events to go hang out at and see all the different mods, that will influence how you want to see yours come out

- Not many 3 on the trees left, but if you want yours to not be original like that, lots of mods
- maybe think about a change to fuel injection. Lots of options out there. Me personal I went w/cheby throttle body
-check brakes, fluids, u joints, everything before driving. *Cage is an important thing to have in these rigs regardless of use

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
Matt- add your location and details of your rig to your signature when you can. It’ll help others help you when the time comes.

OP
OP
M

mattbo505

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Updating sig now.

Heres a bit more info on the rig

1972 U15
LUBR
Matching VINS
OG color boxwood green? been rattle canned white though
inline 6
3 on tree
upgraded disc brakes

Ill get pics posted after i figure out how.

Thanks for all the help so far!