• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Starter. Won't Start

NolaBoy

Ok. I have some issues with the bronco lately. I had some engine compartment work done recently and I have trouble ever since. Hopefully you guys can help me trouble shoot. I'm new to this so I'm learning as I go.

When I got the truck back I noticed that the person doing the work had bypassed the ballast resistor and had a wire going directly from the hot full side to the coil. He said he thought I needed a new electronic ignition but this bypass apparently fixed what he thought was the problem of not getting spark. When I got it home I removed the ballast and noticed it was broken, also inspected the coil and it was leaking oil (prob from the bypass). I got a new coil and new ballast. Cranked right up! Better than ever. Started to notice a horrific grinding while trying to start and noticed that the starter was barely hanging on (he must have removed it and not gotten it back on correctly). The starter was shot so I bought a new one. Installed it and it would start but slow and noticed a little grind. Removed it and took it back. They had given me the wrong one and it failed the test anyway. Got my money back from that one and decided to try the PMGR upgrade as described here. Got one from AutoZone. A new one. DLG581S. Installed no prob. Now when I try to start it wont turn over. Starter seems to engage but it wont crank. No spark? No fuel? Ignition module shot? Any suggestions on how to pinpoint the problem would be great. Its been one problem after another since I got it back. Thanks.

Jimmy

OP
OP
N

NolaBoy

I wired it using this same diagram. I haven't changed any other wiring.

OP
OP
N

NolaBoy

Could it just be a bad starter since that's the only thing I changed? Sounds like it trying to turn though.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Could it just be a bad starter since that's the only thing I changed? Sounds like it trying to turn though.

Could be but you should also consider battery condition, cable condition, connection quality. If you're sure everything else is good take the starter back and have it tested.

OP
OP
N

NolaBoy

So I charged the battery and during this noticed a spark coming from the 4 guage wire to the starter. When I took it out it was burned and obviously shorting. I replaced this and finally got it started. But it was still slow. Let it run for some time then took it for a little drive. I stopped to get gas and got it restarted but with hesitation. When I got home I turned it off and right back on. Started fine. Went to do it again and now it only clicks. Should I get rid of the PMGR starter and go back to the original? Also, the engine seems to be from an 87 ford truck according to the engine numbers. The PMGR should work with this too right? If I wanted a new starter would I get one for 76 Bronco or 87 Truck? Please let me know if you have any input. Thanks.

Jimmy

OP
OP
N

NolaBoy

Could it be binding? Has anyone ever had to shim a new PMGR starter? I have a 76 bronco but from the engine stamp it looks like it came from an 87ford truck. If I went back to original starter would it be for 76 or 87?

67RT

Bronco Guru
I had a solenoid that would start several times, then click intermittently. When it clicks, jump the solenoid and see if it cranks.. Make sure your battery, alternator and voltage regulator aren't failing.

OP
OP
N

NolaBoy

I checked the battery and alternator. They are working fine. 12.5 v on battery up to 14.6 when running. Any idea on 87 vs 76 starter? How do I check the voltage regulator?

67RT

Bronco Guru
Your voltage when running looks good.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/charging.htm

Another good thread. May be ground. Clean all terminals on both ends and make sure you have a good ground..
http://broncozone.com/topic/15583-starter-solenoid/page-2

I am not sure but I would use the starter specific for your motor. Both have an external solenoid on inner fender. Jump the solenoid as instructed in the thread and see if it cranks. Make sure your car is either in park or neutral if a manual, or you will run yourself over!

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For what it's worth, I have a 96 starter on my 73 motor. oughta work both ways. I'm thinking relay problems. Is it turning really slowly or normal. Also, not knowing how it's wired, I'd suggest checking voltage to the coil while cranking on it. If it's not 12v, it should be.

69red

Loc.
Cochrane, AB,CAN
what is clicking? the starter relay on the fender or the starter it self?

like some of the others have said it sounds like you have some bad connections. have you taken the battery cables off and cleaned up the pos and neg batt posts?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You have issues with the connections and probably also have a cable that is corroded inside. That cable needs to be replaced along with any others that are stiff or have swollen insulation. After that is resolved the PMGR starter will work fine.