• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New products from Solo Motorsports

Contributor
Here are a couple clips from their Instagram.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like a couple of upgrades. Did you see the link to the rear spare tire carrier latch? I can’t tell exactly how it works, but would certainly be interested in seeing one in action.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Looks like a couple of upgrades. Did you see the link to the rear spire tire carrier latch? I can’t tell exactly how it works, but would certainly be interested in seeing one in action.
Yeah, that one was added a few months ago. I can't quite figure out how it improves things - again, we need to see it in action.

Todd Z.

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
Yeah, that one was added a few months ago. I can't quite figure out how it improves things - again, we need to see it in action.

Todd Z.
I have it. It locks with a pin so no way the carrier pops off the latch while your driving around like mine does. My carrier it riding a bit high as po must have bent it and the new latch won’t fit. Another thing I have to figure out.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But I guess a key question would be, does it also stop the rattling?

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
Has a larger rubber bumper and looks like it clamps down pretty snug. But won’t know until it’s mounted.

Contributor

Looks like they are having a presale for their rear kit.. doesn’t say how much though.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm guessing the spring kit will require the aux tank to be deleted. Didn't see anywhere where it would clear, or require deletion. Nor did I see anything that was definitive about the location of the front mount. Also nice to see a more standard 2½" wide spring instead of the unicorn 2¼"

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'm guessing the spring kit will require the aux tank to be deleted. Didn't see anywhere where it would clear, or require deletion. Nor did I see anything that was definitive about the location of the front mount. Also nice to see a more standard 2½" wide spring instead of the unicorn 2¼"
Yeah, I'm curious how much longer the springs are and where the front mount is as well.

Todd Z.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is that what they have to do to get the travel and make it smoother,
really extend the rear leaf? And would effect lateral strength being a single leaf?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is that what they have to do to get the travel and make it smoother,
really extend the rear leaf? And would effect lateral strength being a single leaf?
Just looked, it's not a single leaf (monoleaf) spring. It is a multi-leaf pack.
Lateral stability will improve with added spring width.

Adding length is a time proven way to get better ride and travel, packaging is typically the issue. The shackle is already at the rear bumper, don't see adding length there. Clearly they are adding it to the front of the spring. Start going deeper into spring design and adding stiffness to the front of the pack is generally a way to improve axle control (axle wrap). There is a ton of engineering that can go into a spring pack. Even super minor details like the shape of the tips of the leaves can change the character of the spring pack. The taper and shape (not just arc) of the leaves. There is a incredible amount of potential tuning that can go into a leaf spring.

It looks like a well engineered kit overall. But with all designs there are compromises in some areas to gain in others. It will be interesting to see what the gains are and what was compromised to get those gains? The better engineering maximizes the gains and minimizes the losses. In the (limited) materials I have seen I didn't see any comment about axle wrap control. Which is a historic problem in broncos that gets worse with softer, flexier springs. I really want to see how well controlled that is.

justintime51

Solo has been testing leaf packs for a while for the EB. I love the fact that they have seen a market for us go fast guys. I spoke with them a month or two ago about it, and they needed to test another pack. This is the one that worked. It's a 2.5" lift, pulls 16" of travel, and was tested with 250lbs in the back to compensate for spare, tools, etc. I was debating on linking mine with trailing arms, but as short as these broncos are, i can't really see the benefits. I will probably be putting in an order next week to get the pre sale deal. Even with 3.0 bypasses, it's a good deal. I will probably opt out on the shocks since mine won't see the road for probably another year or more. They will definitely compliment my solo radius arms well.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Contributor
I like the rear air bump mounts! I have air bumps on the front and was going to build custom mounts for the rear but now I just might go with these in the future.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I like the rear air bump mounts! I have air bumps on the front and was going to build custom mounts for the rear but now I just might go with these in the future.
I do as well! I think they're the first commercially available air bump mounts I've seen for EBs.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do they say anywhere in their listing that these are not a direct replacement for 76/77 knuckles? I didn’t read everything.
Sure, they’ll fit the axle ends. But none of your stock disc brake stuff will bolt back up.
Obviously it’s made for aftermarket linkage, so that’s not an issue. But if you’ve already got your tie rod sized for the stock 76/77 knuckles, it could be an issue.
I guess they could assume everybody will know that already. Nice pieces though! Nice to have an off the shelf option for that.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Do they say anywhere in their listing that these are not a direct replacement for 76/77 knuckles? I didn’t read everything.
Sure, they’ll fit the axle ends. But none of your stock disc brake stuff will bolt back up.
Obviously it’s made for aftermarket linkage, so that’s not an issue. But if you’ve already got your tie rod sized for the stock 76/77 knuckles, it could be an issue.
I guess they could assume everybody will know that already. Nice pieces though! Nice to have an off the shelf option for that.
No, you're right. They need more information/better description for what they're offering. They mention the swing steer setups, which EBs don't even use. More clarity there is definitely needed.

Todd Z.