• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Moving distributor

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I know this is probably a silly question, but how do you lock a distributor firmly in place? Cranked up and after it warmed up and the electric choke had gone off, I would pat the pedal and get backfire. Never did it before. I got out while it was running and grabbed the dizzy and found out it moved. Don’t have a timing light so don’t know what I set it on, but I got it where it does not backfire.
All that to ask how/where is the nut/fastener that locks it in place?

Randy

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
There's a small bolt and a metal retainer that locks the distributor shaft in place.
The metal retainer looks like a half circle with a moon cut out of one side which goes up against the shoulder of the distributor. There's a groove in the in the side that goes up against the distributor and that faces down.

The bolt goes through the middle of the retainer and threads into the block.

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Thanks @Johnnyb! I’m relieved it’s not that complicated. I was afraid it was gonna take 2 men, 3 hammers and a small child to fix it. Lol. Should not take that long to secure it.

Randy

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Ooooeeee! I like pictures and diagrams. I see exactly how it fits now. Thanks for sharing them. I keep forgetting that @Steve83 has supermotors pics that show things and stuff.

Randy

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The lock down bolt is awkward to get to. You can buy a distributor wrench made specifically for the job. Just make sure you get the right size. I think they come in 1/2" or 9/16.

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
The lock down bolt is awkward to get to. You can buy a distributor wrench made specifically for the job. Just make sure you get the right size. I think they come in 1/2" or 9/16.
As it happens, I have those wrenches. Didn’t even have a clue what they were until I saw an advertisement for them yesterday. I’ve moved them several times out of my way, but fortunately didn’t throw them away. lol

Randy

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a motor with that bolt stripped out, made it a pain to do the timing, just a heads up

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I had a motor with that bolt stripped out, made it a pain to do the timing, just a heads up
Thanks@spap. I’ll certainly check that out for sure. If it IS stripped out, can the hole be safely drilled and tapped for a larger bolt?

Randy

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m sure it’s fine, just a heads up

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
For most, it’s prob unnecessary as you said. For me, I’m not sure how easy it’ll be to get in there so considering it for peace of mind. Not a normal distributor setup.

1678138677401.jpeg

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Actually, I just tested and messed with it and I think that would make it even more difficult so not gonna use that.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, but it’s a great picture for everyone else to see where the clamp and bolt go. Thanks!