• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Model year of my Bronco

fabieber

I have always thought my Bronco to be a '73. Paperwork says so. But reading a forum I find that the "T" shifter for transfer case was only in models up to and including '72. Mine has the "T" shifter. Today, I found a sticker that shows my truck to have been manufactured in August of 72.
My VIN: U15GLQOO902 MPV.

What model year do I have?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
That is a 8/72' build date for a 73', but read here.....

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I always preferred the look of the T-shifter vs the J-shifter. So I had my 74 converted to the T.

Attachments

• IMG_4167.jpeg
    IMG_4167.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 11

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Me too. Especially I like the action of the T-shift better than the J shift. Until I drove a pristinely original, but horribly abused, used and gunked up like you wouldn’t believe, ‘73.
The shifter on that one was perfect. Shifted immaculate. First J-shift I’ve ever driven that worked that well.
Then again, in recent years, I’ve seen some T-shifts that were a little recalcitrant as well.

OP
OP
F

fabieber

You guys are so dependable when I need information. Dirt suggested a good one to add to the list...........what list, how to I add? I am eager to do all I can to continue building factual history for these Broncos.
Mine, now confirmed to be a '73, is stock in every way, with exception of balancing/blue printing, boring over and adding 4bbl back in 1990....work done by my brother in law before I bought it from him. Bit of an aside, he sold it to me for the highly inflated price of $4000!!!!;)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s great to hear!
In post number three above, Okie put up a link to a discussion that Viperwolf put forth a few years ago. Where we are comparing the relative build dates, model year, as registered, and VIN’s beginning with either a “P“ or a “Q“ to keep track of what changes occurred and when.

if it’s a P, it’s officially a 72. If it’s a Q, it’s officially a 73.
But whereas some Q’s, such as yours, were built in August 1972, which is the most common starting point for a new model year, Ford continued to use the P designation for 72 model year Broncos right up to, and including October I believe it is.
Click on that link above and read through it from the beginning. Or at least hit the beginning so you get the basics of the information that we’d like to see about yours.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
eager to do all I can to continue building factual history for these Broncos.... stock in every way...
nother is the beginning of the snorkel to the core support. Prts: metal, corrugated, plastic ‘fresh air tube’ behind battery (more) asa
‘73/4 kinda thing. I think some ’73 have it/not AND even some ’74 might not have. Back to ye ol 'empty box’ form of manufacturing
w/ford @ the time. I like it/think it’s pretty kouwell...