• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Medium/Large Bearing vs Large Bearing Axles

Splash440

Contributor
Loc.
Dover, NC
I have a question about these type of axles.

I have a 75 currently with the Medium/Large Bearing with 10 rear brakes and need new axles (28 spline). When I look at the sets of axles the the medium/large axles set of is almost double in price.

What am I missing. I did read something about offset.

Any help with understanding this would be greatly appreciated.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Make sure you are not looking at 31 spline axles with the specialty bearings meant to fit in the small bearing housing end.

Otherwise a large bearing axle with the correct retainer and flange offset for a 75 should be the normal price.

All of this is in the “I think“ category because I’m not near my computer to look at my own website to be certain.
And I’m waiting in line at an In-N-Out Burger (for friends) so I can’t guess/think/make time!

OP
OP
S

Splash440

Contributor
Loc.
Dover, NC
Thanks for the info, I was looking at 28 spline. I am on the East Coast so looking mainly out suppliers out here. I see on Wild Horses you have 28 spline 74-75 for the normal price. I will make some calls on Monday and try and figure out why the difference in price.

I just found out late yesterday evening I will need to replace the carrier gears (broken spider), so I may just upgrade to 31 spine.

I currently have a 28 spline Trac Lok, so need to research if I can upgrade to 31 with same carrier housing.