• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Medium/Large Bearing rear, matter when changing to disk?

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
I have a bare medium/large bearing housing, not sure which one because it came without the brake assembly. I'm going to disk, do I need to worry about which one it is? Any suggestions on which disk assembly to go with? I was thinking explorer but BCBroncos sells a complete kit.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
just be sure to order the correct kit for your bearing and bearing/brake offset.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yes it matters. The bolt pattern is different for all 3 types.

Attachments

• ford%209%20inch%20axle%20ends.JPG
    ford%209%20inch%20axle%20ends.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 68

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey..thanks for that Viper. I just printed it and in the EB shop notes it goes.;)

You just drew that up real quick from memory too, right?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Hey..thanks for that Viper. I just printed it and in the EB shop notes it goes.;)

You just drew that up real quick from memory too, right?

Well, I used my memory to find where I put it on the hard drive. Does that count?

OP
OP
ryoungbronco

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
That's perfect viperwolf1. I'm going out right now to check which one it is. Anyone have any suggestions on which disk brake conversion to go with. I'm not looking to go to the scrap yard to find parts. I'd rather spend a few extra $ to get a complete kit.

Edit: OK its a medium bearing, is that bad? Get this, the parts truck I have has a large bearing but it is really rusty. The medium bearing housing I already por-15, painted and welded on new shock mounts. Should I just use the medium bearing or should I clean-up the large bearing axle? Does it make a big difference?

Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I used my memory to find where I put it on the hard drive. Does that count?

I think yr lyin. You post all the answers for hard questions too fast for that explanation to fly. I think you might be the official idiot savant of the EB world or sumpin like that.;D

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I think yr lyin. You post all the answers for hard questions too fast for that explanation to fly. I think you might be the official idiot savant of the EB world or sumpin like that.;D

You might be right. I learned all I know from watching Wapner.

reynard101

Bronco Guru
That's perfect viperwolf1. I'm going out right now to check which one it is. Anyone have any suggestions on which disk brake conversion to go with. I'm not looking to go to the scrap yard to find parts. I'd rather spend a few extra $ to get a complete kit.

Edit: OK its a medium bearing, is that bad? Get this, the parts truck I have has a large bearing but it is really rusty. The medium bearing housing I already por-15, painted and welded on new shock mounts. Should I just use the medium bearing or should I clean-up the large bearing axle? Does it make a big difference?

Medium bearing = good stuff for Explorer rear disc conversions. The Exploder stuff is bolt on in that case, with axle offset being correct and bolts size and pattern on the axle end matching the Explorer. There are a few things to consider with the Explorer rear discs. The Explorer rotors need to be redrilled to 5 on 5.5 and the register hole (center hole on the rotor) needs to be enlarged for the stock axles.

But if you buy from on the Bronco parts houses they will be able to guide you with the correct parts.

OP
OP
ryoungbronco

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
Medium bearing = good stuff for Explorer rear disc conversions. The Exploder stuff is bolt on in that case, with axle offset being correct and bolts size and pattern on the axle end matching the Explorer. There are a few things to consider with the Explorer rear discs. The Explorer rotors need to be redrilled to 5 on 5.5 and the register hole (center hole on the rotor) needs to be enlarged for the stock axles.

But if you buy from on the Bronco parts houses they will be able to guide you with the correct parts.

That's good to hear because I liked the Explorer setup. Is the medium bearing as strong as a large bearing. I'm planning on redoing everything. 4:88 gears, detroit soft locker, 31 spline axles.

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
The medium duty takes the large bearing on the axles. Ford Motorsport (I think the number is M-2300-G) had a kit that is what you need expect you will need the " rotors to be redrilled to 5 on 5.5 and the register hole (center hole on the rotor) needs to be enlarged for the stock axles. "

These kits (if you can find one) are very reasonably price.

The only real mod you need to do is the brake line.

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
For the e-brake you just swap out the rear left & right cable, no problem.

You just need to get some flex (braided) brake lines, since the hard line (from the wheel cylinder) will not work with the caliper

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There is no such thing as an emergency brake. It's a parking brake. I dare you to use it in an emergency when screaming down a mountain road and see if it prevents an accident.

Don't try it, really.