• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mean Green Starter question

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am about ready to start the electrical and was wondering what the consensus was on the install for a mean green starter with a new harness. The whole system is new so there is no existing or original parts to start with. The recommendations say to utilize the existing solenoid but the starter has an internal solenoid and would rather eliminate it out of the engine bay if not needed.

For those that have installed them, what are you doing?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Broncos? Consensus? Hah!

Personally I NEVER get rid of the factory starter relay. It's got multiple purposes other than cluttering things up.

It's a very useful extra power point source. You don't want to pull power for other accessories from down on the starter like GM did all those years. Up on the fender within easy reach and out of harm's way is a good thing.

For some starters it's also an excellent isolator so you don't need diodes to keep electrical feedback from keeping things running when you don't want them to.
Not sure if this is ever an issue with the Mean Greens, and they are different slightly from the typical factory PMGR starter. But it's a common fault with upgrading to some mini/PMGR starters when eliminating the Ford relay.

But perhaps the most important aspect of keeping the relay in place is that it reduces the load on the ignition switch and puts it all on the very heavy duty relay. Your ignition switch only has to pass the current that it takes to energize the relay. Which is theoretically a lot less than a solenoid setup.
I say theoretically because I can't prove this for a fact. Just a guess on my part.

Which sounds like a good test for someone. Set up an ammeter on your ignition switch's START wire and see if there is more load on it with a solenoid starter vs through the original relay.

Paul

mrdrnac

Contributor
I have a Mean Green Starter with the solenoid and also the fender well Ford style. However, the Ford solenoid gets wired differently to prevent the starter from staying engaged and running after the key is turned off. They can do this if they are not wired correctly, as they generate their own electricity when they are running and can self energize. I'm not an expert, but if memory serves me correctly the main heavy gauge wire from the Ford solenoid to the starter gets moved over to the same post as the heavy wire that goes direct from the battery to the fender solenoid (SO yes both are hot all of the time). You then run a jumper wire from the empty heavy fender solenoid post to the small post on the solenoid on the starter. I'll see if I can find better written instructions for you, and post them if I do. I learned the hard way on mine after wiring it direct the first time.

Tom's Bronco Parts:
tomsbroncoparts.com/pages/schematics/bronco-schematics/engine/66-77-bronco-high-torque-mini-starter-installation/

Instructions:
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. 2. Remove the starter cable from the starter relay (see figure) and reconnect it to the opposite terminal on the relay. The battery cable and the starter cable will now be on the same relay terminal. ottik eht ni deilppus dael 21# eht hcattA.3 the starter relay post where the starter cable was removed. Route this wire along the starter cable and secure with wire ties supplied in the kit. 4. Remove the field-wound starter. 5. Remove the starter cable from the starter. 6. Enlarge the starter cable hole to 5/16” if needed and flatten (or remove anti-rotational tabs if they are present on the starter cable). 7. Install the permanent magnet starter. 8. Attach the starter cable to the starter solenoid terminal using the nut included in the kit. 9. Attach the #12 lead to the starter solenoid blade terminal (switch terminal). Make sure the connection locks into place.

Attachments

• pmgr-wiring.jpg
    pmgr-wiring.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would do a factory starter instead of the aftermarket name. The late model permanent magnet starters are VERY good as is. Same on starter solenoid.

I like the factory solenoid on the fender as well. Not only a junction block, but the ignition bypass wire really comes in handy. Seen many Bronco ignition switches that had an intermittent open in the ignition while in start. Without the ignition bypass wire off the solenoid you just get the starter to spin with no ignition, sometimes.