• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

magnetic oil pan plug

hairj

Contributor
Looking for thoughts/opinions on magnetic drain plugs.
1. Seems like a good idea ? Engine, trans, tc and diff?
2. With a dual sump oil pan one in the rear is enough, right?
3. Votex makes what looks like a quality plug. Twice the price of Chinese. Any other recommendations?

Thanks for any and all input. I really do respect your comments.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Nothing wrong. I use them all the time.
Don't be alarmed when you see fuzz on them, especially the gear boxes. Fuzz is normal, chunks is not.
For the diff and transfer I prefer them on the fill plug. Oil will still wash past it, iron will still stick to it. Easy to check when doing fluid level checks. Drain plug you don't see until you empty it.
Can't say any are bad. I've used everything from the basic ceramic magnet to rare earth magnets. I'll take a rare earth if I can find it, but doesn't have to be if I don't have it.
Dual sump, just one on the big one (where the pickup is at). The overflow off the little sump will wash the iron down.

OP
OP
hairj

hairj

Contributor
Nothing wrong. I use them all the time.
Don't be alarmed when you see fuzz on them, especially the gear boxes. Fuzz is normal, chunks is not.
For the diff and transfer I prefer them on the fill plug. Oil will still wash past it, iron will still stick to it. Easy to check when doing fluid level checks. Drain plug you don't see until you empty it.
Can't say any are bad. I've used everything from the basic ceramic magnet to rare earth magnets. I'll take a rare earth if I can find it, but doesn't have to be if I don't have it.
Dual sump, just one on the big one (where the pickup is at). The overflow off the little sump will wash the iron down.
Thanks Broncobowsher! I do appreciate your experience.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even Ford used a ring shaped magnet stuck to the bottom of the transmission case in our three speed, manual transmissions.
So the concept is extremely valid no matter how it’s implemented.

OP
OP
hairj

hairj

Contributor
Even Ford used a ring shaped magnet stuck to the bottom of the transmission case in our three speed, manual transmissions.
Such a wealth of knowledge! Thanks DD.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks! Been diggin' and scratchin' into these things for a long time now. Bound to stumble across something that will come in handy someday!
But what I know pales in comparison to lots of other members here. So enjoy it all!

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Never knew they did that in the 3-speeds.
I know it is super common in automatics. Very often there is a dimple in the pan for the magnet to sit in.
I knew some diffs that had a magnetic drain plug being scrapped, so I got the plugs. ½NPT. Put those in the fill plugs on the transfer case and axles.

OP
OP
hairj

hairj

Contributor
I have been on the hunt for one that fits my pan. Cant believe I waited this long. I went with a Votex https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SMPN7B3/?tag=classicbroncos-20 I already bought one that was wrong size. Super strong magnet!
I ordered that votex plug today. I ordered a 1/2 X 20 for my 351w dual sump pan. Aftermarket pan from Toms. They could not tell me the size as they no longer sell this pan??? Fingers crossed as to size.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I ordered that votex plug today. I ordered a 1/2 X 20 for my 351w dual sump pan. Aftermarket pan from Toms. They could not tell me the size as they no longer sell this pan??? Fingers crossed as to size.

I got my Ford Racing (China) dual sump pan off Amazon and it took the M14 x 1.5mm magnetic plug similar to the one above but mine is shorter.

Just make sure the threads are right and if you use one in the shallow sump make sure it clears the crank.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is the same thread pitch as a standard Bronco lugnut, if you want to check it.

OP
OP
hairj

hairj

Contributor
I got my Ford Racing (China) dual sump pan off Amazon and it took the M14 x 1.5mm magnetic plug similar to the one above but mine is shorter.

Just make sure the threads are right and if you use one in the shallow sump make sure it clears the crank.
Thanks for the tip.

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
That was the 1st one I ordered and was wrong. Seems oil pan tech details these days are non-existent. Good luck!

Ultra mag

I like to use stereo speaker magnets around my drain plugs or as close as I can get to the plug. Then when changing oil just drag magnet across drain hole to help pull out any iron.