• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for "better", suspension; modify chassis or get Kincer?

Scubadds

I have a '74 now, (waiting NC inspection to get on the road)
But it has a big lift and heavily modified suspension.
I was hoping to get the best road manners as practically possible, as it is a bit all over the place now.

In the meantime, I found a project '75 that really will need a new body. I was thinking of building off that starter kit....

I am thinking either coil-over, or maybe coil and 4 link. I spoke with Kincer and the guy thought the coil and separate shock road really well.

If I have a bare chassis, is it practical to order whatever kit I can (james duff?) and use my existing chassis? vs Buying the kincer builder.

I would for sure say kincer, except I am a bit worried about replacing the chassis and on issues associated with not having the original numbers under the truck.... I have a DMV inspector friend that suggests I just build another truck and title it as "74 Ford Bronco replica' but it would have NC assigned VIN.

I am curious if I ever sold, would that ding the value?
I see all the big companies doing frame swaps all the time....

I think I would personally rather have a new kincer chassis and axles etc-etc and would be less concerned about what's on the piece of paper.
But curious what you guys think.
So I guess its a two part question.
1. modify or replace chassis
2. Does a "not original" title matter that much?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Modified doesn't hurt value

Assigned VIN does hurt value. Try and get a replacement title for the chassis before going the assigned VIN route.

OP
OP
S

Scubadds

It does have a recent NC title, I will get that in my name asap....

Last edited:

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
When you talked with Kincer, did you discuss VIN info? The website indicates their frames are a Ford official licensed product, but not sure what that really means other than being able to use the Ford name.

Aftermarket frames have been popular in the custom car market for years so I can't imagine everyone is using the replica route with assigned VINs but I could be wrong. A lot of them (my Bronco included) goes through numerous changes and upgrades throughout the years especially if you have owned it for some time.

Thinking out loud here, but for example I have owned one of my broncos for 22+ years. Lets say I had severe frame rot and needed a replacement frame. I purchase a classic series frame from Kincer because I want to upgrade to a Coyote motor and like the extra clearance provided. I doubt I would have to forfeit my title and start over with an assigned VIN. As long as I could provide proof of purchase of new chassis and maybe photos/documentation of the old frame would suffice?

As far as value is concerned. Yes, some people might shy away from a Bronco with an aftermarket frame, but there are probably more that would not care if the quality and type of build met their needs.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Modified doesn't hurt value

Assigned VIN does hurt value. Try and get a replacement title for the chassis before going the assigned VIN route.

Totally agree...

Hopefully you can get something worked out