• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

VA Looking for opinions on this 73

TarheelEB

Hey everyone,
I am going to look at this 73 this weekend. I would love to hear some feedback on it. Looks like it may have some rust in all the usual places and door posts need work. Seller sent a quick video of it running and the engine sounds good at idle. The price seems a little high. What do you all think? Thanks in advance for any feedback. I am looking for a daily driver that has uncut fenders; thinking I could weld in uncut fenders, do some body work to any necessary areas and paint it back to what looks like was original green color.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/5997698258.html

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Photos taken inside a garage don't provide the real story. Does it not run and cannot be backed out? IMHO it is not worth the asking price.

OP
OP
TarheelEB

TarheelEB

Thanks for the response. It runs well based on a 5 second video the seller sent me with it idling. I have seen some additional pictures with it out of the garage and it looks pretty rough around the rear fenders and door posts.

Rob1962

Bronco Guru
Looks like a steal of a deal... for the seller anyhow.

Take the "1" off the front end of the asking price, and you'd still be paying too much, in my opinion.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
With that much rust showing, you're going to end up replacing half the body once you tear into it. Way overpriced. At least twice as high as I'd pay if not more.

OP
OP
TarheelEB

TarheelEB

Thanks again to all of your responses. I will be taking a look at it on Saturday.

Rob1962

Bronco Guru
Good luck. Seriously though, I really wouldn't pay more than $5k for that thing.

Pearlcoat

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I live in Manassas, I've never seen this one. Although it may have been in the garage for awhile. I bought a 77 in Richmond 2 yrs ago, didn't give it as good of a look as I should have, it was cold, snow on the ground, etc. Turns out it was much rougher than first thought. Now I'm paying the price. Just look it over good. I'd like to see an update after you see it. Good luck.

OP
OP
TarheelEB

TarheelEB

Yeah, I was thinking he was asking too much. I do not think the seller is going to come down to 5k, but it's worth taking a look at it. Nothing better than spending Saturday looking at and working on Early Broncos.

Thanks to all who provided feedback. I will update this post after I look at it.

I really appreciate this site and everyone who has helped me out.

Colts88

Tarheel, I'm in Richmond and exchanged emails with the seller. I also think he's high on the asking price but may be up to negotiate. Here's an email from him...

The car mechanically is sound. Power steering and power brakes with an automatic 302 engine. As I stated in the posting, the truck is in need of body and cosmetic work. There is rust in a few spots. The main offender is where the door hinges attach to the frame. Outside of that the rest of the body is in good shape. Floor boards are good and the top was redone a few years back.
I am wiling to work with a reasonable offer. I have had a lot of offers around 12k but am not interested in selling it that low.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I have had a lot of offers around 12k but am not interested in selling it that low.

OUCH!! In other words, putting out a feeler to see if he can cash in on the insane market...cant blame a guy for trying

I would ask for undercarriage pics before heading out Tarheel, and some pics of door posts and floors

OP
OP
TarheelEB

TarheelEB

I will ask him to send pictures of the frame and door posts. He emailed me back today and said he will not come off the asking price much. He continues to remind me that when finished, these Broncos will sell for 35-40k. I will wait for pictures of the undercarriage and door posts, but most likely will pass on this one at that price.

Thanks a bunch everyone.

k13evin

Loc.
Chattanooga
I always like hearing the seller say that. Then fix it the rest of the way and sell it for that much. If you think it's so easy

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
He emailed me back today and said he will not come off the asking price much. He continues to remind me that when finished, these Broncos will sell for 35-40k.

He's having a wet dream. What he's not telling you is how much $ you'll need to add over his asking price to get it to a value of $35-$40K. If you're not a experienced body and paint guy you'll probably need to pay someone $10 to $20K to cure the rust and paint it. Rusty door posts and rusty hinge areas are serious.

Rob1962

Bronco Guru
I will ask him to send pictures of the frame and door posts. He emailed me back today and said he will not come off the asking price much. He continues to remind me that when finished, these Broncos will sell for 35-40k. I will wait for pictures of the undercarriage and door posts, but most likely will pass on this one at that price.

Thanks a bunch everyone.

Yeah, only problem is you'll have to put another $30k into to get it to that value, and you'll lose money. I have to tell you, if you want a project, go for it. Otherwise, spend your money on a rig that's already been built if you can verify the build.

I'd run from this POS like my ass was on fire.

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
yeah, only problem is you'll have to put another $30k into to get it to that value, and you'll lose money. I have to tell you, if you want a project, go for it. Otherwise, spend your money on a rig that's already been built if you can verify the build.

I'd run from this pos like my ass was on fire.

i 2nd that