• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for motor opinions

Canadianbacon

Loc.
Alberta, Canada
Hey Everyone, been a long time. Getting back to putting some bucks into the Bronco.

The 302 is getting pretty tired, so i did a compression check today.. uh oh:

120-120-105-100
85-100-125-125

That was warmed up. Not good.

So, looking for opinions. I do not have the time to rebuild it myself. I have $2500 i can throw into it now, or wait until winter and up the budget to $3500.

What would you do?

MPG_Bronco

Loc.
Chandler
if it's carb'd, I'd go EFI... if it's EFI I'd just rebuild stock and be happy with a fresh motor. that's all i would do.

I would check for a collapsed lifter, sometimes it's simple.

OP
OP
Canadianbacon

Canadianbacon

Loc.
Alberta, Canada
Its carbed, which i kind of like as i've never owned a carbed vehicle before. I like having to pump it to get it start lol. A little more character that way.

Lets say i find a 95 van with a 5.8 for cheap, how hard is the swap?

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Pretty easy, pull one out put new one in. If you have power brake booster you might have to clearance it but every thing else should fit.

I put a 351 windsor crate motor in my 75 and love it. Runs great, plenty of power. One of the best things I have done to my bronco.

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Not to kill the 351w swap but if your on a budget do your reasearch on the additional part that cant be swaped over. Im going to do a 351w in mine if i can manage to find one and have money at the same time.....

Wyo4x4er

oil pan, distributor, intake manifold are all different fron the 302. As is the balancer from a newer efi 302 versus the old 302 and all 351w.

Mattco

Loc.
Dothan, AL
I will ask in here since someone mentioned it. What are the opinions of the 95 302 out of an f150? I can buy one with an auto tranny for auto tranny pretty cheap but it has a broken fuel rail. Are these good motors and trannies?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You could find a good machine shop and have your motor rebuilt. If you are handy, you could have the heads done and block machined, then do the assembly yourself. Either way, if you rebuild, you know your accessories will fit without adapting, hacking, or part searches.
An added bonus... you can still enjoy your carburetor.;)