• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leak from under dash

NolaBoy

Wanted to get some insight on this. I read a previous post about a leak from the dash. I checked the spots stated but dont see anything from there.

Any thoughts on other common areas for leak?

If it rains i just have a puddle in the center of the floormat. No real rundown from the firewall.

Any ideas on how to chase this down. Worried about rusting behind the dash. Seeing some signs of it already. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jimmy

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
What year is your Bronco?

My 67 has a Strap mounted to the cowl support, for the wiring harness.
I went to remove it and the self tapping screw snapped off and that was where my occasional leak was coming from...

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
You may need to seal your fresh air vent on the drivers side. I caulk mine to prevent leaks.
You may also have water leaking in at the cowl if the seam sealer is old where the two panels meet. Water can leak in and if you have rust holes it will drip behind the dash.
A third place is to check to see if you have a rubber seal in between the windshield hinge.

OP
OP
N

NolaBoy

Thanks! I will check those spots. I just had a cowl seal placed. I am still seeing some leakage after that. i will check the air vent. You just seal around the edges of the vent? Thanks for the tips!

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
You can pull the fresh air vent out then apply a bead of clear or black silicone caulk then reinstall.

You could also have someone hold a hose on the windshield while you get under the dash with a flashlight but my money is on the fresh air vent.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Do you have the seal along the back edge of the hood? It runs the whole width of the hood and is held in with plastic push pins. This seal makes water flow across the back of the hood and dumps water out to the fenders. Keeps most of the water out of the gap of the hood and the windshield cowl.
All our vendors carry it.