• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Last 5 VIN digits

Lakehouse65

Hello from snowy NH! My husband has a 71 Bronco; VIN U15GLJ91355. I have it figured out until I get to 9... Also, where can other info like paint code, etc be found? His Bronco still has the original paint on it and I think it's Seafoam Green but would like to confirm this. I am very new to this so forgive my ignorance.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That site does have some discrepancies/mistakes however, so don't go by it only. There are several "VIN Experts" hereabouts that can make sure it's all squared away.
Unlike modern vehicles, and unlike even some other brands back when ours were made, our VIN's don't include build/option information. You can basically only tell what model (U15 is the "wagon" with full hard top), what engine came with it, what Ford plant it was built in (all the same Michigan Truck Plant I believe?) and the last letter and number sequence are the only things that can give you the order and approx. build date.
But no interior, gearing, suspension, trans, steering, differential type, delivery location, or other options will be determined by the VIN.

But you have another source of info you should use as well. Contact Marti Auto Works (www.martiauto.com) and get yourself the Marti Report on your Bronco. You could get the inexpensive basic version sent to you in a few days and have most of the info about your Bronco. Or you could even get the deluxe version as a gift for your husband. It's not inexpensive, but it's pretty cool to have a framed window sticker and build date info on your Bronco hanging on the wall!
It takes several months for that one, but you still get the basic one e-mailed to you in very short order.

Oh, and I almost forgot... We also have this! https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/master-picture-list-of-original-colors.127793/
The good stuff starts on page 6 or later I think, where are posted the actual color charts for Broncos and trucks for each year. Very cool info!

Good luck!

Paul

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome! And as you can see from the above answers you've come to the right place!

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
WHERE in the lakes? I'm on south border

OP
OP
L

Lakehouse65

That site does have some discrepancies/mistakes however, so don't go by it only. There are several "VIN Experts" hereabouts that can make sure it's all squared away.
Unlike modern vehicles, and unlike even some other brands back when ours were made, our VIN's don't include build/option information. You can basically only tell what model (U15 is the "wagon" with full hard top), what engine came with it, what Ford plant it was built in (all the same Michigan Truck Plant I believe?) and the last letter and number sequence are the only things that can give you the order and approx. build date.
But no interior, gearing, suspension, trans, steering, differential type, delivery location, or other options will be determined by the VIN.

But you have another source of info you should use as well. Contact Marti Auto Works (www.martiauto.com) and get yourself the Marti Report on your Bronco. You could get the inexpensive basic version sent to you in a few days and have most of the info about your Bronco. Or you could even get the deluxe version as a gift for your husband. It's not inexpensive, but it's pretty cool to have a framed window sticker and build date info on your Bronco hanging on the wall!
It takes several months for that one, but you still get the basic one e-mailed to you in very short order.

Oh, and I almost forgot... We also have this! https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/master-picture-list-of-original-colors.127793/
The good stuff starts on page 6 or later I think, where are posted the actual color charts for Broncos and trucks for each year. Very cool info!

Good luck!

Paul
Thank you Paul, do you have any idea of what "not inexpensive" may cost? Just curious!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thank you Paul, do you have any idea of what "not inexpensive" may cost? Just curious!
I don’t really know, because it’s been a few years since I bought my last one. But I’m guessing a deluxe is at least $400 now.
That’s the full Monty with the reproduction, window sticker and everything. But as NGA said, the basic one gives you the pertinent info, and it is not hard to handle at 45-ish.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But it should still spell out the details clearly on their website.