• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Large self tapping screws

CopperBronco

One of my self tapping screws fell out of my exhaust bracket… I didn’t get a good tap on the frame as it feels stripped, probably over did it.

I need a hair larger self tapping screw with flanged hex head… I can’t seem to find above 1/4” anywhere except in large bulk quantities. Any tips on where you guys buy specialty fasteners? Ideally online… I’ve tried Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Ace. Will try Tacoma screw on Monday… any tips much appreciated, seems like self tapping screws often max out at #14 or 1/4” in most stores, I need slightly larger. Next time I’ll be more careful and use some loctite as well.

OP
OP
C

CopperBronco

FYI I need a 5/16 x 1 1/2” self tapping screw with a flanged hex head or something comparable.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’d be tempted to just get a bolt/nut/washers, etc and be done with it. Just a cheap man’s thought. Lol

Randy

OP
OP
C

CopperBronco

I’d be tempted to just get a bolt/nut/washers, etc and be done with it. Just a cheap man’s thought. Lol

Randy
That won’t work as it’s the screw that attaches the bracket to the frame, so no way to get a nut on it because it goes into the frame.

JSBX

Contributor
Ebay has some 5/16 x 1 1/2 thread cutting bolts.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
OP
OP
C

CopperBronco

[/URL]

Shop for "tek" or "teks" screws to get more results like that. If this screw goes into the frame, I'd recommend something with a finer thread. This is too many:

[/URL]

Posting pics of the empty hole showing the location would make it easier for us to unnerstan what you need. I might have some (I used to be in metal building construction) lying around.
Thanks Steve, this is exactly what I’m looking for, but size 14 is the same size I have problems with… need 5/16 or size 16/18… do sizes even go that big or just switch to inches?