• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Koenig PTO Winch

Tuck73

Contributor
Just cleaned 50 years of mud and grease from my winch while the body is being painted. I had no idea it was aluminum and looked this way. (It was also painted in camo.) Where can I get a new drum. Also, does anyone know how to get it to release where it will freely spin? So far, it will only turn half way.

Attachments

• Winch 1.jpg
    Winch 1.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Winch.jpg
    Winch.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 70

Cooper

Loc.
Northeast
Hi Tuck, I just stumbled on this on e-bay a couple days ago, I have no idea what the price of a drum would/should be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-1977-EARLY-FORD-BRONCO-TRUCK-CJ-JEEP-KOENIG-PTO-WINCH-PARTS/164761854127?hash=item265c9260af:g:nY8AAOSwxPRgRmmg

Regarding the binding you describe, it sounds like the worm gear is inhibiting movement, but not really sure what you mean by "it will only turn half way". If you dis-engage the shifter lever on the opposite side from the worm gear and its housing, it is linked to the shifter fork and should release the drum. Don't forget to pull the locking/release pin, it is spring loaded. Then check for movement by turning the PTO drive-shaft. If the grease inside is 50 years old as well, it probably resembles glue at this point and just needs to be re-packed. Also, whoever applied that paint you are cleaning off may have gotten some into the bearings and contact areas around the drum shaft or PTO shaft, binding to turn by hand but the PTO would not notice.

PTO's are cool and well worth getting to work, IMHO.

OP
OP
T

Tuck73

Contributor
Hi Tuck, I just stumbled on this on e-bay a couple days ago, I have no idea what the price of a drum would/should be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-1977-EARLY-FORD-BRONCO-TRUCK-CJ-JEEP-KOENIG-PTO-WINCH-PARTS/164761854127?hash=item265c9260af:g:nY8AAOSwxPRgRmmg

Regarding the binding you describe, it sounds like the worm gear is inhibiting movement, but not really sure what you mean by "it will only turn half way". If you dis-engage the shifter lever on the opposite side from the worm gear and its housing, it is linked to the shifter fork and should release the drum. Don't forget to pull the locking/release pin, it is spring loaded. Then check for movement by turning the PTO drive-shaft. If the grease inside is 50 years old as well, it probably resembles glue at this point and just needs to be re-packed. Also, whoever applied that paint you are cleaning off may have gotten some into the bearings and contact areas around the drum shaft or PTO shaft, binding to turn by hand but the PTO would not notice.

PTO's are cool and well worth getting to work, IMHO.

Thanks! I’m going to keep working on it.

testin

Loc.
Camano island
Just cleaned 50 years of mud and grease from my winch while the body is being painted. I had no idea it was aluminum and looked this way. (It was also painted in camo.) Where can I get a new drum. Also, does anyone know how to get it to release where it will freely spin? So far, it will only turn half way.
Hi Tuck ... Try Herm
Tuck73, Try Herm The Overdrive Guy ! He has almost everything for these winches. I have three Koenig winches on all my broncos and he's provided parts for all ...