• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

KC Daylighters

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Scored a Duffs prerunner bumper after searching for a few years and it came with some KC Daylighters. I'm pretty excited, but have also never wired in halogen off road lights before. What gauge wire should I use for them, going to put a relay and 30A Fuze in line and want to use a Bronco hazard light switch to turn them on (since I have a column hazard switch. Will the hazard switch support running these lights with a relay inline?

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
The hazard switch should carry it with a relay before the switch. I ran a pair of aircraft landing lights on my ‘72 (yeah, way illegal for on road) and used 12 gauge wire and a 20 amp rocker switch. Never had any problems with wire or switch heating up.

Randy

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
I had a pair on the Bronco way back but they were incandescent as far as I recall. 11 some amps apiece. Light up stop signs well over a mile away.
I fired them up in the kitchen last night with a Milwaukee battery and holy hell are these bright lol. I was going to replace the guts with LEDs but I think I may just run these as they are

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Look on the lights/bulbs for rated power. After that you can figure what you need to wire them.

The Milwaukee battery pack, was it one of the 18/20V versions? You were likely overdriving the bulb by 50%. Many years ago this was a common thing in one of my hobbies, diving. The higher end lighting on the market was very powerful and done so by overdriving the bulbs. The result was incredible light and bulbs that needed to be changed about as often as you change batteries. I'll over-simplify it a bit. Output gains are roughly linear with increases in voltage. Life expectancy decreases at an exponential rate as voltage increases. Somewhere I have published data on it, I know what book it is in, not sure where that book is. Rough numbers off memory again, 50% increase in voltage cuts bulb life to 10%. There are other things like increasing sensitivity to vibration since the filament is much closer to melting point and has less structural integrity. Nobody uses incandescent lights anymore. There was a time where the big ones went HID, then LED came in and the high output LED has taken over nearly all of the HID market. The LEDs are run pretty hard, I have a few that can only be run on low unless they are water cooled.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
If you keep the length short, you can run 20 amps on 16 guage. 14 or 12 will get you longer wires if needed.

20 amps will get you roughly 240 watts.
1adc05449fea0251ebf1f2dc1e50ecfc.jpg

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Look on the lights/bulbs for rated power. After that you can figure what you need to wire them.

The Milwaukee battery pack, was it one of the 18/20V versions? You were likely overdriving the bulb by 50%. Many years ago this was a common thing in one of my hobbies, diving. The higher end lighting on the market was very powerful and done so by overdriving the bulbs. The result was incredible light and bulbs that needed to be changed about as often as you change batteries. I'll over-simplify it a bit. Output gains are roughly linear with increases in voltage. Life expectancy decreases at an exponential rate as voltage increases. Somewhere I have published data on it, I know what book it is in, not sure where that book is. Rough numbers off memory again, 50% increase in voltage cuts bulb life to 10%. There are other things like increasing sensitivity to vibration since the filament is much closer to melting point and has less structural integrity. Nobody uses incandescent lights anymore. There was a time where the big ones went HID, then LED came in and the high output LED has taken over nearly all of the HID market. The LEDs are run pretty hard, I have a few that can only be run on low unless they are water cooled.
It was the milwaukee 12v 4 amp battery, here is the spec on the bulb

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240324_210305_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240324_210305_Chrome.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
Pulled them apart today, cleaned the insides, polished the housings and rings and started cleaning up the bumper. Ordered some KC hard covers for the bulbs and some replacement stainless loom. First picture, left is polished, right is unpolished

Attachments

• 20240323_192030.jpg
    20240323_192030.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240324_184516.jpg
    20240324_184516.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 23

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Does anyone have a source for bulbs anymore? I bought a couple pairs many years ago, but not sure if you can find them anymore?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bitch'nBronco

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD