• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just walked to get part after hole blew

SP66

Bronco Guru
Got new part but forgot to check which side go into the front of engine which side go into radiator pipe side.

Last edited:

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Pointy side towards the t-stat housing flat side to intake

Spring toward the hot side

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Drill a 1/8" hole in the flange and install the t-stat with the hole up. It helps get the air bobble out.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
what is it ... looks like a bad part for south FL .... just leave it out ?! lol

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you know that the new one is the same as the old one? The 20 degrees hotter might just be what it's rated at, or your old one might not have been working. But we need more details. Twenty degrees hotter than what? What does it read on the gauge now?

Never seen one split like you have. A hole rusting through, sure. But a split seam? Nope.

The plug in the top was standard Ford stuff on certain years, and many of the replacements have them. Don't ever tighten something like that down as tight as you can though. It's a tapered pipe thread and, if you're strong enough, will simply crack the new casting from overtightening. Tight? Yes. But tight as you can? Nope
It might be in there perfectly tight right now though too. So just check it initially to make sure it's not just finger tight, then run it as-is until you see a leak. If it leaks, tighten it. If not, leave it.
I like to use thread sealer, but some recommend against it. Whatever your choice is then, that gets it to stop leaking.

Paul

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The thermostat housing won't have any bearing on what temp it runs at. Did you change the thermostat? If so did you get the same temp stat as the original? If you used the old one did you put it in correctly? The end with the spring goes into the intake.

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for reply. Was always running at a cool no problem 170. Now 190-200.

Here is the replacement link attached.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-5yc1s?itemIdentifier=141903

They make different thermostats. I know I've bought them for 175, 185, and 195. I'm sure there are others. If you didn't replace the thermostat it's possible you had a leak on the housing that was allowing the fluid to go all the way through..... which eventually caused the hole in the housing. Engines do operate better at temp depending on what set up you have.

I drove from California to Colorado overnight in my truck last year when it was 30-40 degrees out. My truck ran 120-140 all the way. I had no idea the diesel could run that cool. Sure enough, my thermostat went bad and stuck open.