• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just finished installing the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 EFI system

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I noticed this says for 289/302. Is there any reason it wouldn't work on a later 5.0 application?
My block is 1994 Mustang 5.0 and I believe the firing order is different from the earlier 289/302. Also what about the distributor gear?

Thanks,
John

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
What ngsd said. I have been trying to tell people for decades that "new" stuff doesn't do ya any good at all if they quit supporting it in a few years.

THIS is the #1 drawback with aftermarket. How are they going to make money if they don't make you buy another new product in 5 or 8 yrs???

I've been there. Holley ProJection (early 90's), Edelbrock's first system (late 90's). Put them on, need a part in 4 yrs and they say "we don't have any more of those".

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Yes, aftermarket vendors I have a poor record of supporting their products over time.
Nonetheless, mustang computers for the '93 and earlier system have been out of production for a long time, and even the explorer computers will be increasingly difficult to find.
I think if the system lasts 5 to 8 years and I have to buy a new one, so be it.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Here was my problem for the first 35 yrs of ownership... having to try to buy a replacement fuel system that cost more than what I paid for my entire Bronco- which was a 2nd owner, 50K miles & in excellent condition- it's outrageous! It can be made to last longer-look at OE. Heck, look at the poorly made aftermarket distributors (HEI is perfect example), guys buying 3 or 4 mechanical fuel pumps before one works, brand new flat tappet cams that are dying on FORD small blocks- not Chevy's. They get away with it because we buy it and get used to buying it again and again.

Gotta disagree with the aftermarket industry that has brainwashed people thinking that it's perfectly normal for major equipment to only last 5 yrs... it's not.

Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Here was my problem for the first 35 yrs of ownership... having to try to buy a replacement fuel system that cost more than what I paid for my entire Bronco- which was a 2nd owner, 50K miles & in excellent condition- it's outrageous! It can be made to last longer-look at OE. Heck, look at the poorly made aftermarket distributors (HEI is perfect example), guys buying 3 or 4 mechanical fuel pumps before one works, brand new flat tappet cams that are dying on FORD small blocks- not Chevy's. They get away with it because we buy it and get used to buying it again and again.

Gotta disagree with the aftermarket industry that has brainwashed people thinking that it's perfectly normal for major equipment to last 5 yrs... it's not.
If someone buys an Eddy proflo4 Christmas gift for me, I'll try... but for now I'll just stick with my QJet.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
So I've been deadling around with going explorer EFI for the last 6 months. I finally put everything I need together including a couple of donor harnesses and a couple of donor computers but now I'm considering going this route.
Not only do you still get SEFI, but the components are new.

If I go the explorer route, the computers are 20 or more years old, and even with several donor harnesses, I'm likely to end up with some partially broken plugs which need to be held on with tape!

Can anybody think of a disadvantage of the Edelbrock system?
I think nvrstuk said it best. Likely no support after 5 or so years on the unit..

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I am still not able to find the right map for mine. I have played around and wasted days trying to tune it. It is going over to the speed shop next week. I dod not know the spec on my 408 build so cant use any cam settings that are accurate. I tried something and got close but still not right. I used a Bronco Design fiberglass hood with 1 inch body lift as it would not clear using low profile spectre air cleaner. I used a M1a1 WH FUI tank with the edelbrock regulator. One thing to think about is that the front blanace tube they give you does not work well with that dizzy on the front and I made another one for it.
Hi ngsd, would you mind sharing the part number or description of that really nice looking throttle body right angle adapter on top of your pro flow 4?
Something tells me it's actually called an "air horn", but that would confuse it with something that goes honk honk!
THX,
JB

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
So essentially its a poor copy of the FORD SEFI ?
Well,,,
With Ford OEM SEFI, all the factory harnesses and computers are 25+ years old and out of production.
Furthermore, the computer needs to be flashed, and due to federal regulations, they WILL NOT disable emissions control programming (whole separate debate).
So, if having a persistent engine check light, a 25 year old computer, and harness plugs with broken or breaking retainer tabs is better, then income tax is great too!
My original goal was the explorer conversion, and I bought two donor harnesses to this end. On examining the harnesses, I don't believe I could produce a single harness in which every single plug was in 100% perfect condition.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Well,,,
With Ford OEM SEFI, all the factory harnesses and computers are 25+ years old and out of production.
Furthermore, the computer needs to be flashed, and due to federal regulations, they WILL NOT disable emissions control programming (whole separate debate).
So, if having a persistent engine check light, a 25 year old computer, and harness plugs with broken or breaking retainer tabs is better, then income tax is great too!
My original goal was the explorer conversion, and I bought two donor harnesses to this end. On examining the harnesses, I don't believe I could produce a single harness in which every single plug was in 100% perfect condition.
While I can't disagree with the age of the computers and possible finding one? Thats why I went with the mustang 5.0 route, everything is readily available at most parts stores for replacements. The harnesses at least are made by quite a few companies so harness plugs are not an issue.
But yes you are right when it comes to the explorer stuff.

Good luck with your build.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
While I can't disagree with the age of the computers and possible finding one? Thats why I went with the mustang 5.0 route, everything is readily available at most parts stores for replacements. The harnesses at least are made by quite a few companies so harness plugs are not an issue.
But yes you are right when it comes to the explorer stuff.

Good luck with your build.
I haven't actually started the Edelbrock pro flow 4 system yet, but if it works up to expectations I will be posting all of my mustang and explorer if I can version parts in the parts for sale for them. I have accumulated quite a collection, harnesses and computers!