• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Junk yard a/c parts for '76 installation?

Dakotabound

Went surfing through our site and didn't find an article on how to install an A/C unit in an early Bronco using junkyard parts. Found info on kits, etc. but what about getting later model gear and retrofitting such into one's vehicle? What parts, from what models, and of course at what costs/savings? Skill levels required, outside vendors needed and other such facts would help.

The game is to see if one can avoid the $1300 retail costs for junkyard parts and still have a fine ice cold system with fully operational heating/defrosting system, especially after plugging all the interior air leaks so the cold air stays inside.

Otherwise, I'll just put back the soft top, roll the windows down and add more beer into the cooler for the summer.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I'm not aware of any junkyard units that will work. Most junkyard stuff is either through the firewall or cowl type stuff which isn't really an option on a Bronco.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
You could rig a nice spray pump into a Yeti! thats my thoughts on A/C in a Bronco....If you ever get used to runnin w/o a top at all your bikini will dry rot.

Did you say roll windows down? Windows require doors........not cool!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have been looking for 20+ years for junkyard A/C parts. The underhood stuff isn't too bad, lots of donor engine room options. It is the inside part that doesn't package well. Junkyard aftermarket underdash units are probably the best option so long as you are not running an NP435 or have some other stopper under the dash.

brianz426

Went surfing through our site and didn't find an article on how to install an A/C unit in an early Bronco using junkyard parts. Found info on kits, etc. but what about getting later model gear and retrofitting such into one's vehicle? What parts, from what models, and of course at what costs/savings? Skill levels required, outside vendors needed and other such facts would help.

The game is to see if one can avoid the $1300 retail costs for junkyard parts and still have a fine ice cold system with fully operational heating/defrosting system, especially after plugging all the interior air leaks so the cold air stays inside.

Otherwise, I'll just put back the soft top, roll the windows down and add more beer into the cooler for the summer.

A couple months ago I removed an aftermarket unit from my '77 Bronco that was installed in the early '80's. It's complete and I removed it with the thought that I or someone else may want to reuse it in the future. Let me know if you are interested. I'd let it go cheap.

kaw550

Bronco Guru
A couple months back someone posted a link to a company that is selling the under dash component for $79. I will see if I can find it.

OP
OP
D

Dakotabound

So far so good. Looks like I've got to go "natural" unless brianz426 and I make a deal. Either way, I'm going for the larger cooler with more beer and just might consider that "door removal" idea, although being a senior who today drives like one...

Thank you all for responding and offering your insights, opinions. This is what makes the site so great when in need!

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
look for a first gen wrangler. has a very slim design and could very well be adaptable to our broncos. I have not actually done any measuring but I have seen many of these units (dad used to be a jeep dealer) and often wondered if they could be used in broncos