• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

James Duff track bar riser taller than bump stop

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
So I finally went TRO with the James Duff kit because it was readily available.
I also installed their track bar riser on the axle, along with an adjustable track bar.
I was under there today and I noticed the track bar riser was taller than the wild horses bump.
Looks like the track bar riser will hit the frame before the bump stop?
Is this a common issue? It must be limiting upward articulation on the passenger side.

THX
JB

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yes. Not the best design. Even with the lift, very easy to bottom, had to cut a bump stop to get clearance. Now that I am going back to 1.5 lift, I'm having to cut the riser off and go back to stock plus an inch or so.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Hmmm, I'm never going back to stock height, and I don't intend to lose the TRO either, so a track bar riser seems like a necessity. I suppose I could live without an inch and a half or so of upward articulation but I don't like the idea of the track bar riser hitting my frame on hard landings.
The only thing I can think of is fabricating a bump stop which is higher even than the track bar riser.
James Duff should definitely notify customers about this shortcoming in the design or build a bump stop into their riser!

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
They are assuming if you have that much lift that you extended your bump stops. There’s a good possibility that your shocks and or springs will not allow it to compress that far anyway. It is the correct to way to correct steering geometry.
I've only got 2.5", can see mark on frame where contact has occurred. I will extend the bump-stops upward like @catfan suggests. Only losing a few inches of downward compression.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
They are assuming if you have that much lift that you extended your bump stops. There’s a good possibility that your shocks and or springs will not allow it to compress that far anyway. It is the correct to way to correct steering geometry.

this.
do your shocks have enough compression to allow this to happen? your bump stops should match your compression and account for less compression so your shocks don't get damaged.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And at only 2 1/2 inches of lift, I’m assuming you’re not in the top hole. Correct?
If that’s the case, why not cut off the top? Isn’t that standard practice when trying to fit riser with very little lift to justify its overall height?
I think we all make risers with the presumption that at least some of them are going to go on very tall lifts. Giving them extra beef and extra height and extra holes that would not normally be utilized with 2 1/2 inches.
So when installing one to modify the steering angle on such a short lift, I’m pretty sure cutting it down to size is called for.
Not familiar with theirs specifically, so perhaps that’s not an option. But it seems like it would be on any of them.
I think on any riser on a bronco with less than 3 1/2 to 4 inches of lift, the riser is always going to hit the frame first.
Making extended bump stops a common direction also.

Got pics of yours?

Paul

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
And at only 2 1/2 inches of lift, I’m assuming you’re not in the top hole. Correct?
If that’s the case, why not cut off the top? Isn’t that standard practice when trying to fit riser with very little lift to justify its overall height?
I think we all make risers with the presumption that at least some of them are going to go on very tall lifts. Giving them extra beef and extra height and extra holes that would not normally be utilized with 2 1/2 inches.
So when installing one to modify the steering angle on such a short lift, I’m pretty sure cutting it down to size is called for.
Not familiar with theirs specifically, so perhaps that’s not an option. But it seems like it would be on any of them.
I think on any riser on a bronco with less than 3 1/2 to 4 inches of lift, the riser is always going to hit the frame first.
Making extended bump stops a common direction also.

Got pics of yours?

Paul

Attachments

• 20240301_120149.jpg
    20240301_120149.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 48

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. Had not gone to their site to see it, so this pic is worth the usual 1,000 words.
Are you going to be able to set up the draglink so that it's parallel with the trackbar, the way it's currently mounted?
If not, is it possible to drill a new hole just a bit lower on the riser, so you can move the bar down and then cut the top off?
Yes, seems like a lot of work, but ultimately you still want your trackbar and draglink to be as close to parallel as possible. Assuming that they are at least close to the same length too, that is.
Looks like a nice product that riser. But with just one hole, it does leave you to make your steering linkage match up.

Paul

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
looks like track bar mount centerline on axle riser could go an inch or 2 lower. It will bring you closer to steering link hiem joint centerline. and you can cut the top access material off the riser.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I went with the track bar drop bracket from them and it's good. That is not in the way at all. It keeps the axle mount and lowers the frame side.

Last edited: