• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

It's official, I bought another one... my beater build thread

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
I've been kind of quiet on here lately. My '71 LUBR has stalled slightly (waiting on dash and other parts from painter, can't finish wiring till then) and a month ago I bought a '83 Porsche 911SC that I couldn't pass up.

So tonight I got a call from a guy I met (actually I knocked on his door 6months ago) who has a '69 Sport. He was willing to sell then, but more than I wanted to pay. Now he's gotta let it go quick. We made a deal and I pick it up tomorrow. It's a little rough around the edges at first glance, but it's another solid Cali car with no rust. Was running when parked a couple years ago. Now to tell the wife... wish me luck.

Attachments

• IMG_2746.jpg
    IMG_2746.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Paid for it yesterday, I'll pick it up later this week. He offered (actually insisted) to change all the fluids and get it running again before I pick it up. Fine with me!

Now the big question, what to do with it? Since I'm 85% done with my frame off LUBR, I think this one will stay a cut beater for now. It already has a C4, power steering and disks. A tune-up, clean up, new flares, new wheels and tires then have some fun!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Congrats! Looks to be in good shape. The owner offering to do the fluid changes indicates he probably took very good care of it. Nice find.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I agree nice fine and good idea on clean it up n have fun with it...

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Now the big question, what to do with it? Since I'm 85% done with my frame off LUBR, I think this one will stay a cut beater for now. It already has a C4, power steering and disks. A tune-up, clean up, new flares, new wheels and tires then have some fun!

Perfect plan. Keep one unrestored for bad days, if there are any in California.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I see a few trim parts I could use. Maybe if you part it out slowly she won't notice. :p

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Nice find and good luck with it!

Boy, finding them rust free ain't so easy. I would have a hard time beating it up on the trail considering it is rust free. Have fun with it though. ;D

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Nice find and good luck with it!

Boy, finding them rust free ain't so easy. I would have a hard time beating it up on the trail considering it is rust free. Have fun with it though. ;D

Maybe I should say "virtually rust free". I still haven't pulled up the carpet fully, but where I checked I should be able to get away with some grinding/clean up. My '71 only required a drivers side floor board after blasting. Probably could have patched it, but wanted a factory appearance. Hopefully this one will be the same or better;D

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Ok, so it's an early '69 with September build date. It has the windshield/hood latches for fold down windshield and removable door frames (all ended in '68). Anyone else have a '69 like this? I know ford was notorious using "left overs" from previous years.

Edit: heard from a few members that some early 69's had fold down windshields and vacuum vipers. I guess I got lucky with removable frames. Mine is a early '69 with a late '68 build date.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
picked it up yesterday. Started right up after sitting for a few years. Drove great, tracked straight, shifted well and has good power. I had a grin the whole time;D

Attachments

• IMG_3402.jpg
    IMG_3402.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_3405.jpg
    IMG_3405.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3397.jpg
    IMG_3397.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 203
OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
I'm thinking of robbing my LUBR's cage springs and putting them on here with the cage shocks I have on the shelf. It'll give the '69 more lift and I've been thinking of going 2.5 on the LUBR anyway. Feels like this is about to become a build thread...

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Re: It's official, I bought another one...Now what? Pics added

And when your LUBR is done you can tear down the 69 and put that Coyote motor that you bought awhile ago. Just a thought :D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
And when your LUBR is done you can tear down the 69 and put that Coyote motor that you bought awhile ago. Just a thought :D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

The Coyote went to another member... It paid for this Bronco;D

I should have bought all three Coyotes when I had the chance.